During this time of the pandemic, many people fail to exercise outside.
This makes everyone, especially older people, more vulnerable to health diseases.
Fortunately, the use of a stair stepper machine can help you achieve optimal health even while at home, without having to pay for a gym membership!
According to a study published in the Journal of Sports, the stair climber workout helped 6 out of 34 females and 10 out of 15 males to achieve 8000 steps per day, which is the recommended daily steps for adults.
In this article, you will learn the best stair climber machines of all time.
Here's What's In Store For You...
- Top 8 Stair Stepper Machines
- 1) Best for Cardiovascular Support: Sunny Health & Fitness Cardio Climber
- 2) Best Multi-Purpose Machine: NordicTrack FS14i Elliptical Free-Stride Trainer
- 3) Best Budget-Friendly: Deco Home Exercise Step Machine
- 4) Best Self-Powered: Jacobs The Stairway
- 5) Best for High-Intensity Workout: Bowflex M8
- 6) Best Noiseless: Body Power 2-in-1 Elliptical Stepper
- 7) Best Lightweight: Maxi Climber Vertical Climber
- 8) Best Space-Saver: Sunny Health & Fitness Stair Stepper Machine
- Benefits of Using a Stair Climber
- How to Choose the Best Stair Stepper Machine
- Final Thoughts
At a Glance
Top 8 Stair Stepper Machines
The first on the list of the best stair climber machines is Sunny Health & fitness Cardio Climber.
This stair climber is manufactured by the company Sunny Health & Fitness and is one of the best cardio machines.
This stair climber comes with a device holder where you can place your phone, tablet, or other devices while finishing your workout time.
You may use your devices to follow the two workout programs as well.
Another great thing about this stair climber is that it comes with upper body handlers. They are cushioned and paired with the lower body striding motion to give you optimal cardio benefits.
This stair climber also comes with a pulse sensor where you can check the intensity of your workout.
This feature allows you to check your heart rate and track calories burned.
Along with this also comes with the performance monitor where you can track the following workout data:
- Calories burned
This stair climber is made with high-quality steel and can be used by people up to 260 lbs.
Also, this machine comes with an adjustable resistance knob where you can adjust the resistance levels.
For information purposes, Sunny Health and Fitness step climbers provide mini stepper machines. These are perfect for those with mini home gym spaces.
- Textured Grip Foot Pedals.
- Comes with a compact design with transportation wheels.
- Helps track serious calories burned.
- Comes with a heavy-duty frame.
- Has a climb and step feature.
- Offers smooth stepping motion and easy operation.
- Adjustable stabilizers on both base bars.
- Quiet belt drive system.
- Comes with a water bottle holder.
- Easy to assemble and it requires little maintenance.
- 8 resistance levels.
- Excellent warranty offer – 3-year structural frame / 180 days other parts and components.
- The console comes with no backlight.
- No online connectivity.
If you want to optimize your money, the best way is to find a stair climber that comes with many purposes, and the stair stepper NordicTrack FS14i Elliptical Free-Stride Trainer can be one of your choices.
This treadmill alternative is an elliptical machine and is perfect for those who are looking for a space-saver stair climber.
It has a compact footprint that fits at-home gym spaces and it is perfect for building lower body muscles and enhancing upper body power.
Again, this is a 3-in-1 stair stepper because it can be used as an elliptical, stepper, or treadmill, and the model year for this best stair stepper machine is 2021.
Compared to many stair climbers like the Spacemate Folding Stepper, this stair climber comes with a 14’’ HD touchscreen and in terms of the fan, it comes with four settings – low, medium, high, and auto.
One more great thing about buying this stair climber is that it comes fully assembled.
There is no need for you to spend much time wondering how to assemble such a wonderful machine.
For the weight capacity, it can accommodate users with up to 375 lbs.
- NordicTrack FS14i Elliptical Free-Stride Trainer is a low-impact stair stepper machine that is perfect for those who do not want to put much stress on their knees and joints.
- Comes with moving upper body handlebars paired with lower body striding motion to promote entire body workout.
- NordicTrack FS14i Elliptical Free-Stride Trainer is a long stride stair-climbing machine to accommodate different user heights and exercise types.
- Comes with incline and decline mirrors.
- Oversized pedals for a more comfortable total body workout.
- Bluetooth audio and connectivity feature.
- Excellent warranty – 90 days labor and 3 years on parts.
- Comes with 35 stair climbing workout programs (free for 30 days).
- The adjustable resistance bands’ features are light. Although they are removable training bands, they are only perfect for beginners.
If you are on a tight budget but you still want to do a cardio workout, the Deco Home Exercise Step Machine might be what you are looking for.
Because of its price, it is safe to say that the Deco Home Exercise Step Machine has a relatively low profile.
However, the handlebars of this cardio machine are stable and its pedals can provide a balanced workout. Also, this machine is perfect for small spaces.
According to the company, this machine is a great option for those who want to develop their core and lower muscles, including those found in the glutes, thighs, calves, and ankles.
Furthermore, the LCD monitor of this machine, although small, is handy and provides the following information:
- Workout time
- Calories burned
- Step count
- Cycling mode
Lastly, even though this machine is small, it can support weight up to 220 lbs.
- This stepper machine provides a low-impact workout. Thus, it is perfect for beginners.
- The pedals are hydraulic-guided.
- Excellent for warming-up, circuit training, or post-workout cooldown. Also perfect for those with joint pains.
- Compared to other best stair steppers like Spacemate Folding Stepper, Deco Home Exercise Step Machine offers no resistance levels and resistance bands.
One of the best reasons why Jacobs The Stairway is worth considering is because of its self-powered feature.
This means that there is no need for you to operate it in a nearby outlet.
It comes with a revolving stair that can give you a max speed of 160 steps per minute. Usually, that number is more than enough for beginners and advanced users.
Furthermore, this ladder-style stepper machine is perfect for home gym use.
It is a steel-made heavy-duty machine and the steel is powder-coated.
When it comes to the weight capacity, it can carry users up to 350 lbs. Also, it offers digital readouts such as the following:
- Elapsed time
- Steps climbed
- Calories burned
- Heart rate
Generally, this fitness equipment works because of its rotating staircase feature, where the speed is controlled by the tension of the waist belt.
This means that the higher you go, the faster the stairs come. Meaning, you are the one who can control your speed.
- Carefully manufactured and built to last.
- Low-impact stair climbing exercise machine.
- Slim machine that is easy to step on and off.
- Excellent warranty – 1-year labor and 4 years on parts.
- The company offers free shipping and a 30-day easy return policy.
- Simple and easy to operate.
- Because of its simplicity, this machine is not for those who are looking for a high-tech stepper machine.
If you are always doing a high-intensity workout such as intense strength training, the Bowflex M8 stepper machine might be the most suitable one for you.
This machine is manufactured by the company Nautilus Inc., and the company has been in the industry since 1986.
The Bowflex Stair Climber is made from pure metal and it has a magnetic resistance mechanism.
People who want to do short workouts will enjoy using this fitness machine, and those who are using it will get a low-impact motion exercise with calorie-burning power.
One great thing about this machine is that its size follows the size of treadmills.
It is indeed space-saver exercise equipment that can be placed anywhere in your home.
- Comes with 7 custom workout programs. You can check these workout videos on mobile apps – JRNY and Explore the World Apps.
- Comes with an interactive full color backlit display and magnetic media rack for tablets or smartphones. Users can also choose between LCD or LED screens.
- Multi-grip, dynamic handles.
- Comes with Bluetooth and USB connectivity that is compatible with both iOS and Android phones.
- 20 resistance levels.
- The Bowflex Max Trainer stepper machine can track the history of up to 4 users.
- Excellent warranty – 90 days labor, 3 years frame, and 3 years parts.
- Comes with transportation wheels.
- JRNY app subscription required.
- No cooling fan in the console.
Moving on, if you want to go for a noiseless stepper machine, the best option for you is the Body Power 2-in-1 Elliptical Stepper.
This machine is manufactured by the company Hupa International, Inc, a wholesale company based in California.
Another great thing about the Body Power 2-in-1 Elliptical Stepper aside from being a noiseless machine is its curve-crank technology.
This system allows users to receive zone-free rotation, smooth operation, and efficient motion.
This is also considered as an ergonomic stepper machine that offers different uses, such as the following:
- Elliptical machine
- Total body vertical climber
- Elliptical trainer
- Exercise trainer
Lastly, the weight capacity of this stepper machine is 250 lbs.
- Ergonomic, smooth, and compact machine.
- Comes with synchronized handlebars and stepper movement provides a total-body workout.
- Includes an LCD screen that displays the calories burned, exercise time, distance, and speed.
- 8 resistance levels with resistance bands and a heavy-weight flywheel.
- Equipped with front rollers.
- Comes with 2 sets of built-in foot pedals – flat and angled pedals.
- Perfect for beginners.
- According to some users, although durable, this stepper machine is not that sturdy compared to other stair-climbing machines.
- The display console does not have a backlit.
- No bottle holder.
The next on the list of the top stair steppers is the Maxi Climber Vertical Climber.
For those who are looking for a lightweight but sturdy stair climber, this machine might be what you are looking for.
The Maxi Climber Vertical Climber weighs 33 pounds and it is manufactured by the company Inova USA, and the model year for this machine is 2017.
It is perfect for a daily full-body workout or exercise.
According to the company, Maxi Climber Vertical Climber is perfect for all fitness levels and can help its users strengthen all major muscle groups:
- Upper body
- Core muscles
- Lower body
Generally, this machine works by using your upper and lower body weight as your resistance. It offers a low-impact effective cardio workout.
Also, this lightweight stepper machine comes with a fitness app called MaxiClimber Fitness App.
Users can download the app for free without having to worry about the subscription. The app offers the following features:
- A 21-day maxi-challenge interval program
- Personal on-demand fitness coach
- 21-day complete meal plan with 80 plus recipes
- Progress tracking
Maxi Climber Vertical Climber is also foldable.
Thus, you will never have to worry about how to store this machine.
Compared to other stair steppers listed, this is the only one that is foldable.
Lastly, the weight capacity for this stepper machine is 240 lbs. This is a great capacity considering how lightweight the stair climber is.
- Versatile and easy-to-use stepper machine.
- Offers full-body workout with calorie-burning and muscle-toning effects.
- Low-impact and friendly to the knees and ankles.
- Maxi Climber Vertical Climber comes 90% assembled. Thus it will only take a few minutes for you to completely assemble the machine.
- Made from a solid steel frame with isometric non-stick grips.
- Because you use your weight, the resistance is not adjustable.
- There is an increased risk of falling.
- The pedals are studded. Thus, users cannot work out barefoot.
- According to some users, the console is poorly positioned and does not provide accurate information.
There are many space-saver steppers but the most space-saver one is the Sunny Health & Fitness Stair Stepper Machine.
Again, Sunny Health & Fitness products are known for their mini stepper products.
Thus, this machine is one of the climbing stairs for those with mini spaces.
This is a twist stepper machine that is very easy to use. It is considered a traditional stair stepper where all you have to do is to step on the pedals and work out.
Moreover, Sunny Health & Fitness Stair Stepper Machine is perfect for those who want to slim their waistline and exercise deep leg muscles without putting much pressure on the knees and joints.
It is also designed to work on your buttocks and thighs. It is made from pure steel with dual hydraulic cylinders.
Generally, this machine works depending on the height of your step. The higher the step, the more resistance.
Lastly, the weight capacity for this stepper machine is 250 lbs.
- Comes with a conventional digital monitor display.
- The upper body handlebars are non-padded and adjustable.
- Comes with a unique stabilizer ring and dual hydraulic cylinders.
- Adjustable stepping height.
- According to some users, the Sunny Health & Fitness Stair Stepper Machine is not that durable. But, considering the price, this machine is worth the buy.
- The built-in LCD monitor does not come with a pulse monitor.
- This machine is only for beginners.
Benefits of Using a Stair Climber
According to the Center for Health Protection in Hongkong, stair climbing, or the use of a stair climber when exercising offers many health benefits.
Aside from helping you control your body weight, it promotes cardiovascular fitness and enhances social and psychological health.
As a low-cost exercise option, especially during this time of the pandemic, it can help you achieve the following health benefits:
- Enhancement of heart and lung function.
- Improvement of blood circulation.
- Reduction of the risk of developing chronic health illnesses such as coronary heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, and colon cancer.
- Increased body resistance.
- Enhanced bone health and reduction of the risk of developing osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.
- Strengthened muscles and burned body fat, thereby promoting weight control.
How to Choose the Best Stair Stepper Machine
There are many factors to consider before buying a stair stepper. These factors should be considered so that you can maximize your money.
Since most products are available online, learning the following considerations will help you make sure that the stair climber will surely fit you.
The first factor to consider is the size.
Ask yourself if the stair stepper will fit your home space. If you have a small space, you might want to go for the space-saver ones.
On the other hand, if a bigger stepper machine can fit your house gym, choosing the bigger ones that offer many purposes is more recommended.
For this, you can check the dimensions of the products and reflect them with the dimensions of your floor space.
2) Weight Capacity
Next is the weight capacity.
This is the maximum training load a stepper machine can carry. Of course, you have to consider your weight as well.
Aside from this, you might want to check some reviews about the product’s durability.
Sometimes, some companies claim that their fitness machines can carry bigger loads but are not that durable.
3) Resistance Levels
The next factor that you can consider is the resistance levels.
If you wish to use a stepper machine for a high-intensity workout or strength training, make sure that the resistance levels are between 0 to 24.
4) Product Shipping/Delivery
The last factor to consider is the shipping.
It is given that fitness machines are heavy and this means that you need to add some payments for shipping.
Thus, always go for those that offer free shipping. This will help you spend less.
Indeed, there are many steppers and each of these comes with different features and uses.
To optimize your money, the best thing to do is to find the stair stepper that fits your needs and preferences.
If you want a stepper machine for your cardio health, Sunny Health & Fitness Cardio Climber is highly recommended.
On the other hand, if you want a multi-purpose one, NordicTrack FS14i Elliptical Free-Stride Trainer can be one of your options.
If you are on a tight budget, you can go for Deco Home Exercise Step Machine but if you have an extra penny to spend, the stair stepper Jacobs The Stairway is better.
If you are doing a high-intensity workout, the Bowflex M8 machine would be the best choice.
Moreover, if you wanna go for a quiet machine, Body Power 2-in-1 Elliptical Stepper is great for you.
If you are looking for a lightweight one, Maxi Climber Vertical Climber is worth the try.
Lastly, for a space-saver machine, Sunny Health & Fitness Stair Stepper Machine can be considered.