This guy, Michael B. Jordan, is an American actor – he has become a household name because of his on-screen appearances.
But he didn’t grow up with the idea of becoming an actor.
His mother took him for his first audition and from there on he just got into acting. His big break came when he was cast as Wallace on The Wire.
Since then he has been in all of Ryan Coogler’s movies.
Other people know he is an actor, but they dream of achieving the same rippled physique that Michael has.
Well, it doesn’t come naturally.
So we know that for the Black Panther movie, Michael had to look really shredded.
We are going to share with you his workouts, tips, and diet.
Here's What's In Store For You...
Michael B Jordan Workout Plan & Diet – All You Need Know
Workout Principles of Michael B. Johnson
You can work out too, like Michael B. Jordan’s inspired workout program.
For Black Panther, Michael had workout principles that have been inspired by the top actors of this movie.
Even though Michael isn’t new to doing gym for many roles, when it came time to build a body that was very strong and muscular of ‘Killmonger’, Michael had strong workout principles in mind already.
These are the principles about how he worked out:
Michael trains hard, with intent
Michael pushes himself in the gym. He uses different tactics while he is there.
He will use weight training to build strength and muscle, performing boxing-style workouts in addition. It is reckoned he works out at least 4-5 times every week and then remains active the other days.
He values active recovery
Michael has learned that you won’t grow muscle if you don’t recover.
So after years of pushing him till he was absolutely exhausted every day, he realized that that can affect you physically and mentally.
Nowadays he doesn’t push himself relentlessly. He takes time off to unwind and relax, doing light sports or meditating.
Michael gets help from his trainer
Michael doesn’t work out by himself; he has a trainer, celebrity Corey Calliet.
Hiring a trainer really helps because if you don’t know the right approaches how to get there, the trainer can help a lot. They’ve got all the knowledge and motivation to accomplish goals.
He knows exactly what he wants
Michael knows what he is looking for – he knows why he got started.
He knows they are important to accomplish his goals. He believes if you haven’t made any positive steps in a couple of months, you need to evaluate what you are doing and make the changes.
Michael B. Jordan’s Training Methods
His goal in Black Panther was to get even bigger for the role.
He said he was “doing weapon training, gun training, and a lot of mixed martial arts.” To get the right look for the character, Jordan called on Corey Calliet again.
Michael was already fit.
So he and Corey took the foundation they had used for Creed – they just made the weight regime more intense.
Michael’s movie director, Ryan Coogler, wanted him to be massive and muscular.
Corey made use of his own bodybuilding history to create Michael’s program in order to fill out Jordan’s shoulders and chest.
A Day in the Black Panther Workout
- Machine Chest Press: 3 sets of 20 reps
- Flat Fly’s: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 20 reps
- Push-Ups: 10 descending sets. Start with 10 reps
- Front/Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 4 sets of 12 reps on each side
- Dumbbell Overhead Raises: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Squats: 10 descending sets. Start with 10 reps
- Leg Lunges: 2 sets of 1 rep, hold for 30-seconds
Bonus: HIIT Session
Complete 5 rounds of this circuit; do 30 seconds off and 30 seconds on:
- Leg Raises
- Jump Squats
- Barbell Curls
Michael B. Jordan’s Diet
Michael’s nutrition program
Corey allowed Michael to eat about five meals a day; sometimes six.
But Michael kept his meals simple and clean.
A typical serving for him would something like 6-8 ounces of chicken with Jasmine rice and half a teaspoon of olive oil – or maybe half an avocado and two cups of spinach.
Sample Meal 1
- 6-8 ounces chicken
- 1 cup Jasmine rice
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
Sample Meal 2
- 6-8 ounces lean ground chicken
- 2-cups spinach
Read here about what Corey says about Michael’s diet for Black Panther.
Michael B. Jordan’s Supplements & Recommendations
- Protein – He takes 2 protein shakes a day – builds muscle and burns fat.
- Beta-Alanine – An amino acid – improves performance. Reduces fatigue for longer workouts and higher intensity.
- Glutamine – Glutamine helps to reduce fat while it builds and maintains muscle.
- Creatine – Creatine helps with muscle gain. It also provides energy whilst increasing muscle mass.
- BCAAs – If you want to gain muscle, take BCAAs – also help to cut fat.
- Pre-workout – A pre-workout supplement boosts the flow of blood and delivers more nutrients to the muscles, helping them during the stress of an intense working
- Multivitamin – A multivitamin fills any gaps there might be with nutrition.
Recommendations of Michael B. Jordan
“I feel like I’ve got to work twice as hard in life,” says Jordan.
“I told myself at a young age that I was going to dedicate my 20s to work. I don’t go out all the time. I don’t party… I try to evolve and grow and work on myself.”
This kind of dedication to his gym and has paid off. See his 4 recommendations to staying fit and never quitting.
1) “Turning stress into a kind of fitness”
Michael just works out his stress. He says that during the workout he says he’s not thinking about the thing that’s bothering him and that they weren’t as bad as he thought they were.
2) “Think of a workout as a chance to live better, not a chore to check off”
Michael says you only get one body so you have to take care of it as much as you can. If you aren’t fit, then getting through a busy day will turn out tough.
3) “Make a commitment to every rep”
“Finish a set, finish a routine” – That’s what Michael believes. He says quitting is something he refuses to even think about.
4) “Move in a way that moves you”
“When you hit it clean, you just know it. You feel it. It just flows and it connects.”
For the Michael B. Jordan look, Nike Training Club has put together workouts from Michael’s top roles to date. Check them out here!