J.K. Simmons is an American actor – he has had a very prolific career in the movie industry.
Remember that sadistic portrayal of him in the movie Whiplash? It won him an Academy Award.
From his early days, he was interested in theatre, being a member of the Seattle Repertory Theatre, where he acted in many plays.
He performed on Broadway, too, and started a long career playing guest roles on television shows as well. He also had a small part in the movies from the middle of the 1990s.
Don’t think that at 66; that his movie career would be over.
Not a chance! Just a few months ago, The Tomorrow War was released; that’s his latest movie, and there are talks of more coming up.
He has literally churned out one high-profile movie after the other.
He is probably known best for his role as Dr. Emil Skoda in NBC’s Law & Order, the Spider-Man trilogy, and also for doing voice-over work in video games, animation, and video games; even commercials for Farmers Insurance Group.
He knows how to spin a coin, too, and win when it comes to the property business, he has made some fantastic maneuvers; he knows how to make fortune!
He and his wife live in Los Angeles.
Here's What's In Store For You...
J.K Simmons Workouts & Weight Loss
His Workout Principles
J.K. has a personal trainer, so that helps a lot. His personal trainer is Aaron Williamson.
As an ex-Marine, he saw to it that JK Simmons sported an iron-clad physique for certain movies.
J.K. knows that training well is all down to consistency and hard work – he had to put in really hard work for Terminator.
For Whiplash, he told his trainer that he wanted to show “Some beefing’ guns to show people that I’m not just that guy that does Farmers commercials.”
So he trains with Williamson two or three times a week.
All the gym workouts are different, he says, with each session being different.
When it comes to cardio, J.K. rides his bike to the gym. Then he will hit another 15 minutes.
J.K. Simmons’ Training Methods
He uses warm-up sets before he lifts weights to get some blood flowing into the muscle before the working-out sets begin.
His trainer, Williamson, likes J.K. to do supersets and giant sets using high reps and low weights.
These get his muscles growing. “I’m big on hitting the muscle from as many different angles as you can with as much blood volume as you can,” Williamson told Business Insider.
“All these different angles confuse the muscles, creating definition.
We use different exercises back to back to back – by the end of the set, we are essentially doing 30 to 40 reps.” Williamson says that J.K. does a lot of dumbbell work in his sessions.
He will switch his grip and planes of motion to blast his arms from every possible angle.
He also uses cables to work out his chest and planks. It would appear that high reps with low weights have brought Simmons some very impressive results.
J.K Simmons Workout Routine
The ‘Tomorrow War star has got jacked up and he’s got muscles to play the part to the hilt! He stars with Chris Pratt, acting as his father.
Chris said, “It was unbelievable, I was like, is that even possible? He’s got prison muscles. I was like, ‘Dude, where have you been?’”
The Tomorrow War director Chris McKay, cast Simmons in the role because of his outstanding acting skills.
He told J.K., “Hey, I don’t know what shape you’re in now.
But if it’s possible, I really want you to get to that jacked-up guy again and grow out your beard.”
And that’s what J.K. did. He achieved it to the point where he says he received the ultimate compliment from Katherine Schwarzenegger.
She is Pratt’s wife and Arnold Schwarzenegger’s daughter. She exclaimed, “Oh, my God, J.K. Simmons is jacked.”
And J.K. said, “That’s all I need from Arnold’s daughter.” It shows you how successful he was with his workouts.
So how did he do it? Here we show you. J.K. did a lot of supersets and because of his age, he focused on unilateral movements, to keep flexible.
‘Warmup – on the elliptical for 10 minutes.’
Add some dynamic stretches.
- ‘Flat dumbbell press (superset with) flat reverse grip dumbbell presses – 4×10 reps’
- ‘Machine chest press (superset with) cable crossovers – 4×10-12 reps’
- ‘Wide-grip lat pulldowns (superset with) hammer grip pulldowns – 4×10-12 reps’
- ‘Hammer strength row – 4×10-12 reps’
- ‘Supermans – 4×10 reps
- ‘Ab finisher – crunches – 4×15 reps’
- ‘Hanging leg raises – 3×20 reps each side’
- ‘Abdominal machine crunch – 3×12-15 rep’s
- ‘Lying side oblique crunches – 5 reps on each side’
‘Warmup – on the elliptical for 10 minutes.’
- ‘Standing dumbbell curls with Arm blaster 4×12-15 reps’
- ‘Standing cable curls (superset with) 1-arm high-cable curls – 3×15 reps’
- ‘Dumbbell hammer curls – 3 x 15 reps’
- ‘Rope-cable triceps press-downs (superset with) overhead rope triceps extensions – 4×12-15 reps each exercise’
- ‘Dumbbell triceps kickbacks (superset with) bodyweight bench dips – 4×10-12 reps’
- ‘Ab finisher: Complete 30 seconds of each exercise to perform 1 round of the circuit. Take 30 seconds rest between the rounds – do 4 circuits.’
- ‘Forearm plank’
- ‘Plank push-ups’
- ‘Plank jacks’
- ‘Side planks with twist’
J.K. Simmons Diet Plan
J.K. ensures he adds the best foods to his diet. A meal plan was devised for him to ensure he got essential and nutritious foods. These are the foods he consumes:
- Chicken Breast
- Lean Protein
- Leafy Greens
- Low-carb Vegetables
- Dark Chocolate
J.K. also got help with his diet from his personal trainer. That means he eats a lot of low-carb foods like lean proteins and vegetables. He will eat every 3 hours.
He allows himself a square of chocolate each day. He says it like his ‘secret weapon’
He knows how important it is to stick to a healthy diet and how a little bit of a cheat meal goes a long way as well. Look at his diet:
- Protein Shake
- Lean meat
- Protein Shake
- Lean meat with vegetables
J.K. Simmons Supplements
J.K. fuels his body with these supplements!
- A piece of dark chocolate! Williamson says, “Whenever we go out for lunch, he’ll pull one out for me. I say go for it. There’s a point that if you don’t cheat, your metabolism will actually stall out.”
- Protein Shakes
J.K. Simmons Noteworthy Recommendations
- According to Simmons, cheat meals like his chocolate (see above) help him to stay motivated towards his fitness. Cheat meals can sometimes ward off monotony from your diet – everything in moderation.
- Eat low-carb, lean proteins, and lots of veggies, he says. Eating excess carbs can lead to inflammation and weight gain.
- Keep your meals balanced and eat small meals throughout the day. Try and get three-hour intervals.
“Number one, like yourself; Number two, you have to eat healthily. And number three, you’ve got to squeeze your buns. That’s my formula.” – J.K. Simmons