Home Workout Routines Joe Manganiello’s Workout Routine & Diet Plan

Joe Manganiello’s Workout Routine & Diet Plan

Written by Jane Summerfield

Joe Manganiello is a well-known American actor. He loved sports as a kid and became captain of the football team, volleyball, and basketball teams.

That meant he played varsity level in all three sports.

But while at school, he also loved making films with his friends. This led him to a big interest in acting. 

He played the role of Jud Fry in the high school production of the musical “Oklahoma!” in his senior year.

He went off to study acting at Carnegie Mellon. He received a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Drama from this University in 2000.

Then he moved to Los Angeles and was very fortunate to land himself the job of playing ‘Flash Thompson’ in Spider-Man.

He really made a name for himself when he played a werewolf in the series True Blood. Other movies followed such as Magic Mike, How I met Your Mother and more.

That was in 2002. People always want to know how Joe keeps so fit. Well, he always loved sports from when he was very young. Then he also trained as a boxer as well and was a sparring partner of an NHL player called Brantt Myhres.

He also trained for quite a few months with a former Navy SEAL to prepare for a role as a lieutenant in the movie Behind Enemy Lines: Colombia.

Plus he was a former bodyguard for the singer and actor Tyrese Gibson. He was named one of Men’s Health magazine’s 100 Fittest Men of All Time.

Right now he is married to Sofia Vergara, an actress, and model. He is step-father to her son, Manola, from a previous relationship.

He and his wife live in Beverly Park, Los Angeles.

Current Stats

  • Age: 44-years old
  • Weight: 105 kg. /231 lbs.
  • Birthday: 28 December 1976
  • Birthplace: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Accolades/accomplishments:
‘Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA’
  • 2011 – Best Guest Performance in a Television Series True Blood (tied)
Scream Awards
  • 2011 – Breakout Performance – Male – in True Blood

Workout Principles of Joe Manganiello

Men’s Health says that Joe Manganiello follows the 80-20 plan.

Basically, it’s getting into shape 80% of the time, and enjoying life the other 20% of your time. Joe applies these workout principles to his fitness regimen.

It’s all about streamlining his fitness routine and diet to give him the most bang for his efforts so to speak.

Joe will go through a shred-phase and a strict diet about six weeks before he starts a new role.

This way is flexible for him – it has a similar approach as Kinobody which focuses on flexibility.

Joe Manganiello’s Training Methods

Joe doesn’t always follow the same routine. He has realized that now that he is in his 40s, he needs to train efficiently, allowing plenty of time for rest and recovery.

Because the forces of nature are against you as you get older, it makes muscle building and losing fat more of an uphill battle.

So how does Joe always get abs when there’s a movie or a magazine he has to feature in?

He has a very rigorous ab routine that has been devised by his trainer, Ron Mathews. 

The 18-20 fitness routine is a practical and long-term fitness approach that when you are at the final stages your body is beach-ready.

It is the ideal training method for guys who don’t like to spend all their time at the gym.

Ron Matthews says, “We never do less than 80 percent of full capacity with the diet and the workouts. That means Joe can still have a cheat meal and enjoy life the other 20 percent.”

For someone over 40 who wants a six-pack, the training methods of Joe and his trainer Ron Mathews, are the perfect way to chase that goal.

Joe Manganiello’s Workout Routine

Want to get a body like Joe Manganiello?

Monday – Workout

  • ‘Arnold press: 3 sets x 6-8, 8-10, 10-12 reps – reverse pyramid training’
  • ‘Weighted pullups: 3 sets x 6, 8, 8 reps – reverse pyramid training’
  • ‘Machine rows: 3 sets x 10-12 reps – Kino rep training’
  • ‘Single-arm overhead dumbbell triceps press: 3 sets x 8-10, 10-12, 10-12 reps – reverse pyramid training’
  • ‘Dumbbell upright rows: 1 set x 12-15 reps + 3 mini-sets x 4-6 reps – rest-pause training’

Wednesday – Workout

  • ‘Sumo deadlifts: 5 sets x 4-6 reps – Kino rep training’
  • ‘Bulgarian split squats: 3 sets x 6-8 reps – Kino rep training’
  • ‘Machine calf raises: 4 sets x 10-15 reps – Kino rep training’
  • ‘Cable shrugs: 3 sets x 10-15 reps – Kino rep training’
  • ‘Neck extensions: 3 sets x 20-30 reps – Kino rep training’
  • ‘Neck curls: 3 sets x 20-30 reps – Kino rep training’

Workout C (Friday)

  • Incline dumbbell presses: 3 sets x 6-8, 8-10, 10-12 reps – reverse pyramid training’
  • ‘Barbell bench press: 3 sets x 6-8, 8-10, 10-12 reps – reverse pyramid training’
  • ‘Seated hammer curls: 4 sets x 6-8 reps – reverse pyramid training’
  • ‘Machine curls: 4 sets x 10-12 reps – Kino rep training’
  • ‘Machine rear deltoid flyes: 1 set x 12-15 reps + 3 mini-sets x 4-6 reps – rest-pause training’

Joe Manganiello’s Diet Plan

“Quitting drinking and smoking have been the two biggest turning points of my entire life.”

That’s already fantastic advice from Joe Manganiello for aspiring fitness people, isn’t it?

When he needed to get in excellent shape for his role as a werewolf in True Blood, not only did Joe have a vigorous workout program, but he had to be very particular about his diet too.

It had to be healthy as well as meet all the nutritional needs to cope with the tough training schedule.

This is more or less how Joe’s daily schedule looked like as far as his diet was concerned:

Monday

10 a.m.
  • A protein shake
  • 2 packets of oatmeal with hot water
12:30 p.m.
  • Half-cup of corn
  • 2 chicken breasts, roasted
  • 1 sweet potato
2 p.m.
  • A protein shake with creatine and one banana mixed in
4:30 p.m.
  • A piece of steak, 4-6 oz
  • Half-cup of asparagus or carrots
  • One large salad with vinaigrette dressing
9 p.m.
  • 1 chicken breast
  • Half-cup green beans

Tuesday

  • Pure protein bar
  • Muscle-milk, light
12 p.m.
  • Detour bar
2:30 p.m.
  • Tilapia fillet
  • Tri-Tip
  • Baked cauliflower
  • Green beans
  • Salad with balsamic dressing
4 p.m.
  • Almonds
7 p.m.
  • Koo Koo Roo
  • 2 roasted boneless chicken breasts
  • Side of corn
  • Side of mushrooms
10 p.m.
  • Isopure 40g protein drink

Wednesday

9 a.m.
  • 2 packs of plain oatmeal with water
  • 50g whey protein with water
10:30 a.m.
  • Almonds
12 p.m.
  • Egg white omelet
  • Peppers, ham, turkey, bacon, feta cheese
3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
  • Snacks on set
  • Apple, buffalo jerky, sugar-free chocolate almonds
7 p.m.
  • 2 pork chops
  • Broccoli
  • Squash
  • Mushrooms
10 p.m.
  • 50g whey protein with water

Thursday

9 a.m.
  • 50g whey protein with water
  • 1 pure protein bar
11 a.m.
  • Koo Koo Roo
  • 2 original (roasted) boneless chicken breasts
  • Side of corn
  • Side of broccoli
1 p.m.
  • 2 plates of chipped ham
  • 4 sausages with marinara sauce
2:30 p.m.
  • Tri-tip beef
5 p.m.
  • Snacks on set
  • 3 apples
  • 50g whey protein with water
10 p.m.
  • Mahi Mahi fillet
  • Spinach
  • House salad with balsamic dressing

Friday

8 a.m.
  • 50g whey protein with water
  • Almonds
9 a.m.
  • Egg whites
  • Bacon
  • Papaya
10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
  • Snacks on set
  • Bacon, pineapple, apple
2 p.m.
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 2 slices of tri tip beef
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
5 p.m.
  • Salad
  • Chicken, bacon, corn, carrots, feta – with balsamic dressing
5:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.
  • Snacks on set
  • A handful of sugar free chocolate almonds,
  • Asian pear
  • Peanuts
  • Jerky
  • Corn nuts
11:30 p.m.
  • Salmon steak
  • Salad with mango
  • Walnuts
  • Balsamic dressing
  • Green beans

Saturday

8 a.m.
  • 50g whey protein
8:30 a.m.
  • 4 eggs and bacon
  • One apple
2 p.m.

Weekly cheat meal

  • Umami burger
  • 2 “Truffle Burgers” with cheese and buns
  • Half order of “cheese tots”
  • Half order of onion rings
4:30 p.m.
  • Package of “Sour Patch Kids” at the movie theatre
8 p.m.
  • Sushi Roku
  • Mackerel sashimi, Toro sashimi, clam sashimi
  • Green salad with ginger dressing
10 p.m.
  • 2 apples

Sunday

9 a.m.
  • 50g whey protein with water
9:30 a.m.
  • 4 eggs and bacon
12 p.m.
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • Salad with balsamic dressing
  • Almonds
2:15 p.m.
  • 2 Atkins bars + 1 think thin bar (on set)
4:30 p.m.
  • 2 buffalo burgers (no bun)
  • Salad
9 p.m.
  • Mahi
  • Spinach

Joe Manganiello’s Supplements

  • Caffeine: Joe says that just a few cups before his workouts are the best boost in his performance that he can find.
  • Creatine: Joe believes in creatine because he has seen how it helps him to build lean muscle. Ensure that the brand you buy doesn’t contain aspartame in it. Joe uses a brand called Kre-Alkalyn.
  • Whey Protein: Joe uses the Isopure brand whey protein after his workout as well as throughout the day when he needs it for recovery.
  • NO2: NO2 is also known as nitric oxide. It allows the body to recover and energize after workouts. Joe uses the Nitrix brand.
  • Glutamine: Joe uses this before sleep to help with muscle recovery and for his immune system.

Joe Manganiello’s noteworthy recommendations

  • Sticking to an entire workout program is the key. Both the Magic Mike workout and Joe’s diet are just as important as each other. Joe’s workout and one of his most noteworthy recommendations are this: “Everybody is looking for this fad diet or something, but there really is no secret. There is no fad. Just exercise. Get in there and break a sweat every day. That’s my secret. My secret is, ‘There is no secret.’”
  • On exercise, Joe says, “Hard physical labor is the best work you can do for your soul, even if it’s gardening.”

I train like a pro-athlete, not like an actor who’s just trying to look prettyJoe Manganiello

You Might Also Like: