Tom Cruise is a very well-known American actor.
He is known (more by women probably!) for his clean-cut handsome face.
How can we ever forget him in the 1980s when he appeared in Top Gun as a navy jet pilot? No wonder it was the highest-grossing film of 1986.
He has always been a superb actor, of course, already acting in high school. After, school, he made his name in the movies with his debut movie, Endless Love in 1981.
Movie after movie followed; The Color of Money, Rain Man, Born on the Fourth of July, and heaps more. With such handsome looks, the roles just kept coming, and with them, Academy Awards as well!
His personal life, therefore, also attracted heaps of attention; just as much as his acting.
His marriage to Nicole Kidman created huge Hollywood furor as did their divorce in 2001.
And he became a highly controversial figure when he became very outspoken in support of Scientology. Then in 2006, he gained a lot of attention again when he married actress Katie Holmes, but they divorced in 2012.
They had a daughter Suri, who lives with her mom.
Tom’s name has been romantically connected to many an actress’s name, and as we speak, his name is linked at the moment with that of Hayley Atwell.
They fanned plenty of rumors when they were spotted attending the singles final at Wimbledon.
He owns heaps of mansions – just look at them all!
But it is rumored he spends quite a bit of time at the magnificent Florida penthouse as it is just a few blocks away from the Scientology Headquarters.
- Weight: 68 kg. /150 lbs.
- Birthday: 4 July 1962
- Birthplace: Syracuse, New York, USA
This list is so long we are going to put it here for you.
So don’t worry. We are just going to list his big wins in recent years, starting from 2017 onwards:
All Def Movie Awards
2017 – The “Most Out of Place White Person in a Movie” – The Last Samurai
Alliance of Women Film Journalists
2019 – The “Most Egregious Age Difference Between the Leading Man and the Love Interest” in Mission: Impossible – Fallout (shared)
2018 – ‘Pioneer of the Year’
National Film Awards, UK
2018 – Global Contribution to motion picture
Online Film & Television Association
2020 – OFTA Film Hall of Fame award for Acting
2018 Worst Actor in The Mummy
Workout Principles of Tom Cruise
One thing about Tom Cruise, his fitness levels and physique have stayed consistent over the years.
He hasn’t undergone any shocking and transformational makeovers.
Cruise has kept away from those kinds of trends and sported his same athletic look since he arrived in Hollywood years ago.
It really sets him apart from the rest of the pack; like one of the Hollywood Golden Era stars! He has maintained his same aesthetic look through the years which requires great discipline.
Today’s modern Hollywood stars can change their entire look in weeks – this aesthetic-obsessed world demands it.
However, Tom has proven that at 59, without any changes, he is and has continued to wow the envious fans and crowds.
Tom has fitness principles that act as his anchors and which keep him on the right path. He swears by these principles:
1) Eat less
It is rumored that Tom trains a lot with David Beckham – so that means Tom follows a 1200 calorie-a-day diet plan. Most dieters know that if you want to lose weight you need to be using up more calories than you eat.
2) Don’t restrict yourself to the weight room
Tom Cruise doesn’t stick only to the gym to get his workouts.
He loves outdoor activities and loves all forms of active adventure that keep him fit naturally.
He says, “Sea-kayaking, caving, fencing, treadmill, weights, rock-climbing, hiking, I jog, I do so many different activities.”
Tom Cruise’s Training Methods
Tom Cruise never misses out on the fun while he is working out. He will do cardio and weight training for three days.
The other two days of his training program he will dedicate to thoroughly enjoying adventure activities.
After these, he allows himself two days of rest.
This gives his muscles plenty of time to rest, recover, and restore.
His training methods help to take away any monotony in his workouts.
Tom follows an upper-lower split workout plan.
This means he focuses on his upper and lower body muscles not on the same day – on different days.
This workout split goes hand in hand with some of the adventure activities he loves to include in his workout regime.
This is how a week’s training schedule looks like:
- Monday: Tom work on his chest, shoulders, and triceps
- Tuesday: Tom enjoys a busy activity day
- Wednesday: He works on back biceps and traps
- Thursday: Another busy activity day
- Friday: He works his legs and lower body
- Saturday and Sunday: Rest
Tom Cruise’s Workout Routine
Tom isn’t a fan of going to the gym every day of the week, so if you are not a fan either, you will love Tom’s workout plans.
He believes in adding versatility to his workout plans.
He doesn’t restrict himself to any one type of workout to stay fit.
He enjoys other adventurous activities like running, or fencing, hiking, and kayaking, just as examples.
Weight training and doing cardio are the most important parts of Tom’s workout routine.
Cardio helps him to increase his metabolism and gives him the energy to perform his own stunts.
Weight training helps Tom to get the picture-perfect physique that people remember seeing him playing on the beach in Top Gun.
Here’s a look at his training routine:
Monday – Triceps, chest, and shoulders
- Stretching – 10-minutes warm-up of walking
- Bench presses 3 sets x 10 reps
- Dumbbell kickbacks – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Dumbbell shoulder presses 3 sets x 10 reps
- Incline presses – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Seated dumbbell shoulder front raise – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Seated dumbbell triceps overhead extensions – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Cable Chest Flys – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Bench presses – 3 sets x 10 reps
Tuesday – Activity Day
Tom will pick from any of his favorite activities such as fencing, caving, sea-kayaking, treadmill, hiking, rock-climbing, jogging, etc.
Wednesday – Biceps, back, and traps
- Stretching – a 10-minute walk warm-up
- Deadlifts – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Preacher Curls – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Barbell shrugs – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Seated dumbbell hammer curls – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Lateral pulldowns – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Cable rows – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Cable shrugs – 3 sets x 10 reps
Thursday – Activity day/same as Tuesday
Friday – Legs and lower body
- Stretching – 10-minutes walking as a warm-up
- Squats – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Weight lunges – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Leg presses – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Cable pull-through – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Hamstring Curl Machines – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Leg extension machine (quads) – 3 sets x 10 reps
- Calf raises (machine or DB) – 3 sets x 10 reps
Saturday and Sunday – Rest
Check these important tips about Tom Cruise’s workout program
- Does his own stunts: That means he works out to keep functional, nimble, strong, and flexible – these are top priorities for Tom.
- He doesn’t spend more than 45 minutes on any workout. So that means he keeps his training intensity high and he doesn’t rest for more than 30 seconds after resting.
- He performs all his exercises with the right forms while following a full range of motion. He doesn’t bother with lifting stuff that is too heavy. The goal of Tom’s workout and diet program is not to put on 10 lbs. in 10 weeks like some of these modern movies today – Rather, he likes to look like someone who has discovered the elixir of youth! Wow, he’s got that one right!
- For activity days on Thursdays and Tuesdays, he makes sure they last for at least an hour. If people are interested in losing weight through these activity days, he recommends that you perform the outdoor workout first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. It is also suggested that you break down 60-minute workouts into smaller HIIT circuits – that will encourage optimal fat loss.
- Remember, that the mind-muscle connection is a vital part of bodybuilding. Don’t do reps just for the sake of it. You need to hold and contract your muscles with every repetition so your muscles are put to optimal use.
- The Tom Cruise workout program keeps a balance between isolation exercises and compound exercises. Compound lifts are good for building strength and improving functionality, and isolation exercises are good at muscle conditioning.
- You need to stretch after every workout, particularly on the activity days – that’s non-negotiable. Workouts need to comprise a combination of dynamic, static, and pre-contraction stretches. Researchers say that regular stretching keeps your muscles strong and healthy to maintain a full range of motion in the joints.
- If you are on a calorie deficit diet like Tom Cruise’s, you can build washboard abs by performing three ab circuits every week. You won’t find any accessory muscles on Tom’s workout program. Although he does weight training three times a week, he doesn’t miss training any muscle group – no matter which group it is. See his Top Gun
- Don’t think Tom’s rest days on the weekends are watching Netflix movies! Far from it. This perfectionist is absolutely committed to working hard in the film industry – you could almost say his motto is to always be better than he was the day before! So for your rest days, it is recommended that go for a walk of around 15-20 minutes or any low-intensity activities or bowling or golf – just staying moving and in a calorie deficit state.
Fans of Tom Cruise find his workout routine like a breath of fresh air, particularly those who loathe the thought of attending a gym six times a week.
Tom’s type of outdoor adventures can keep a person passionate, excited, and motivated for each training session.
Tom Cruise’s Diet Plan
Tom Cruise follows a 15 meals-a-day diet plan – that’s not 5, it’s 15! Only a small portion of the 1200 calories he eats is carbs.
He prefers veggies and lean protein from chicken, fish, whey protein, and egg whites.
He will get healthy fats from eating nuts.
Each of his small 15 meals is prepared by his personal chefs.
His estimated macro-nutrients will be broken up something like this:
- Carbs – 10%
- Protein – 60%
- Fat – 35%
What should you eat on Tom Cruise’s diet?
- Lean meat
- Egg whites
- Olive oil
You can guess what you should avoid
- Processed sugar
- Refined carbs
- Junk food
- Artificial sweeteners
According to studies, when you increase your carb intake, you can increase glucose production in the body. This can lead to excess body fat, inflammation of the muscles, etc. A low-carb diet reduces muscular inflammation, particularly for people who have metabolic syndrome or who are obese.
Tom Cruise’s Supplements
Because he follows a low calories diet, Tom relies on these supplements:
- Joint support supplements
- Whey protein
Tom Cruise’s noteworthy recommendations
Don’t forget to add fun to your workouts:
“Sea-kayaking, caving… fencing, treadmill, weights… rock-climbing, hiking… I jog… I do so many different activities.”
Tom just loves adventure sports because they are fun too.
Get proper rest and give your muscles time to recover:
Don’t overdo your workouts.
Cardio is a great way to burn stubborn fat, but don’t skip weight training as it helps you to get bigger and bulkier muscles.
Tom Cruise believes in the saying that ‘age is just a number.’ He has got the looks and the body that says wow! – He has earned the title of a star!
Look, it can’t be promised that if you want to follow the Tom Cruise workout program that you will look like Tom Cruise!
But at least you can get fit and believe in yourself as powerfully as he does, and then let your body do the talking.
“Someday – that’s a dangerous word. It’s really just a code for ‘Never’” – Tom Cruise