Welcome to my comprehensive review of The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies by Dr. Nicole Apelian.
Listlessness and feeling low after childbirth are not as uncommon or implausible as they may sound.
Not every new mother needs to be deliriously happy over a new child and be over the moon.
Many people feel completely overwhelmed with handling a new baby, inadequate in their own capacity to deal with a new reality, and face a lack of physical and mental support in such times.
It is completely understandable to slip into depression at this time.
I am talking about post-partum depression and my battle to fight it out and regain happiness.
After my child was born, I found myself not only being unable to be happy but quite the opposite at times.
Also, I started blaming myself and feeling guilty because I was feeling this.
Reading up on post-partum depression, I realized I needed something to help me out of this rut.
Taking pills for depression was not something I was looking forward to but then I did need support.
It was around this time I came to know about this wonderful botanical compilation, The Lost Book of Remedies.
Following is my review of how it helped me create my own path out of the blues and also showed me a new hobby to indulge myself in.
Do read on to know more about how plants can be our saviors out of sticky situations, from chronic issues to cuts and bruises.
Here's What's In Store For You...
- The Lost Book of Remedies – All You Need to Know
- What is The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies?
- Who created it?
- Why was the book created?
- What does it contain?
- What benefits can one expect?
- An In-depth Look Inside
- How the Book Helped My Cause
- Who is the book not meant for?
- The Cons: What I did not like?
- The Lost Book of Remedies Reviews from Customers
- The Pros: What I liked
- Insider Information
- Buying Advice
The Lost Book of Remedies – All You Need to Know
What is The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies?
The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies is documentation of different kinds of plant remedies that have been used over ages and had been lost to the general public until recently.
It is a complete how-to guide for natural and healthy living.
The prevalence of modern medicine and methods has led to the gradual obscurity of ancient wisdom and traditional practices.
Most powerful remedies in ancient times revolved around plants that were naturally available.
With time, progress and modernization, this knowledge gradually got pushed into the background.
Maybe even the plants that were in common use to provide relief also got obliterated from memory and existence.
This book is a brave attempt to bring together all of that knowledge in one place to allow users fast access to natural healing methods using plants in North America.
Who created it?
The Lost Book of Natural Remedies has been written and edited by Nicole Apelian, Ph.D.
It has been copyrighted by Claude Davis.
It is a collection of different healing methods using plants mainly native to North America.
The collection is extensive and based on knowledge handed down over generations.
Many of these remedies may have been passed down orally before they were actually documented.
The book is a painstaking effort by the writer to collect all of these remedies and present them in the modern context in a systematic manner.
And the result is laudable indeed.
Why was the book created?
The Lost Book of Remedies was created to fill a void in treatment and therapy that conventional medicine is not able to address, or shall we say not able to resolve without side effects.
To understand more about this, we have to realize that the very basis of present-day medicine is to detect the cause of disease and uproot it as best as can be done.
This might require surgery in some cases and drastic measures in most.
The problem with this kind of treatment is that while in most cases there is a definite resolution of the original issue, there are side effects of various types that can become an issue.
The book profers a solution that targets the underlying root cause of various ailments and strengthens the body’s natural ability to repair itself.
What does it contain?
The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies is an eBook that contains a wealth of information about different plants and in what way they can help cure illnesses or conditions.
Additionally, the book also contains information on home remedies using normal household materials that are available around homes.
This extensively researched eBook has 318 pages from cover to cover.
It is illustrated with pictures of different kinds of mushrooms, healing plants and lichens found all over North America.
These are generally sourced from the wilderness and are available freely in this part of the world.
There are 550 remedies outlined in this wonderfully detailed book that range from everyday life requirements to effective remedies.
It is filled with detailed information on how to mix different medicinal herbs in order to get the best results for particular ailments.
Along with this, it has chapters that discuss in detail how to grow medicinal herbs, making powder, infusions, decoctions, salves, tinctures, medicinal extractions, poultices, and more.
The book also discusses some common backyard medicinal plants listed in alphabetical order, from common plants like aloe vera to thyme to lemon verbena and so many more.
There are forest woodland fauna, trees, mushrooms, lichens, and water plants listed in great detail.
One of the best and most popular sections has to be one that deals with the uses of common plant-based ingredients as home remedies.
These are common ingredients that we use normally, things like honey and cinnamon for example.
Of course, one of the most enlightening reads is the chapter about managing multiple sclerosis on a plant medicine regimen.
It is an insight into how chronic and difficult conditions can be managed well without resorting to modern medicines or exposing oneself to undesirable side effects.
Going back in time, people relied extensively on their knowledge of flora and fauna surrounding them.
Their environment was their coach, hunter, and guide for everything.
Survival was dependent upon how best they could extract the good from their environment without compromising their health and fitness.
To say that most of these experiments were trial and error would rather sum it all up.
Obviously, not all of these experiments resulted in good.
There must have been unintended losses for people who tried some, say innocent-looking mushrooms for instance, that turned out highly poisonous.
However, it is from these consequences that wisdom and learning came about.
Even in this day and age, we find a number of herbs around us, growing with abandon or at times, totally cared for without knowing how much better they might have been.
It is for these reasons that this herbal remedies book was painstakingly compiled, written, and published to be shared among readers.
We will know more about the book and its contents in the following sections.
What benefits can one expect?
This epic book packs in a whole lot of benefits between its covers.
Here is a list of all these that a reader may avail of:
- Learn to extract the goodness of nature and utilize its abundance and potency.
- Assimilate not only curative powers but also preventive measures to keep illnesses away.
- Adapt to a better lifestyle and make it part of life.
- Open up a new facet of life revolving around medicinal plants of various sorts.
- Make the best of common lifestyle problems like hypertension, diabetes, and obesity.
- Manage lifestyle problems like stress and anxiety much more effectively.
- Learn new different techniques of extractions and oils that will help in the long run.
- Get your own healthy pharmacy going home instead of depending upon store-bought products that can cause harmful side effects.
An In-depth Look Inside
This book was compiled and first made available to readers in an online format.
The hard copy edition & physical version are now available for buyers.
There are 318 pages from cover to cover of this compilation of plant-based remedies.
There is a lot of merit to naming this The Lost Book.
It is a treasure trove of information on ancient methods of using natural resources for cures.
Many of these processes and knowledge date back to times when man used to forage for food and depended upon nature to get all his needs.
Since there was no documentation in days of the past, much of this knowledge got lost to the general public over years.
It took diligent research and a combination of science, botany, and perseverance to retrieve these remedies and get them into an accessible form.
To this end, renowned botanist, scientist, survival skills expert, and researcher Dr. Nicole Apelian has come together with Wild West specialist Claude Davis.
They have pooled their extensive knowledge and processing skills into creating this massive document and indexing it for best use.
It is divided into different sections in both the online as well as paperback editions to help with easy recognition and usage.
Along with introductions and indexes, the actual contents include:
- Medicinal reference guide for different herbs.
- Harvesting the healing power of plants.
- Plants in our backyard.
- Forests, scrublands, and woods.
- Trees and shrubs.
- Mushrooms and lichens.
- Water-loving plants.
- Household remedies.
In the following section, we will attempt to know more about harvesting plants as discussed in The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies.
How the Book Helped My Cause
As I have shared at the very beginning of this review, it was my struggle with post-partum depression that got me started on this useful herbal medicine book.
I would like to throw some light on how I found my way out of the darkness by using different herbs and plant remedies found on this topic.
When I got my own copy of The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies my first search understandably was about female problems and post-partum issues.
To my delight, I found there was an entire section devoted to this.
When I reached the topic I was interested in, I found four different herbs that were listed against this condition.
These were bearberry, cattails, pulsatilla, and St. John’s wort.
What do these herbs do for dealing effectively with post-partum blues?
Let me elaborate further on this…
This is a beautiful flower that belongs to the buttercup family.
It is a perennial and the purple flowers can make their appearance very early in spring.
They are characterized by yellow stamens.
These are used in pharmacy and the leaves also find use for various cures.
The flower comes with a fair warning of careful handling since it is very potent.
Pulsatilla is widely used as a tincture or infusion and is most effective in these forms.
Among the many uses of the dried flower are its uses in female problems like childbirth and post-partum depression.
It has analgesic properties that take care of pain.
It also helps combat depression following childbirth, something that many women battle to overcome.
However, it is to be remembered that pulsatilla should be avoided during the early stages of pregnancy.
2) St. John’s Wort
This plant grows all over North America as a weed and is named because of its striking coincidence to bloom on St. John’s birthday.
It belongs to the Hypericaceae family. It is characterized by yello- green leaves and yellow flowers.
It is renowned for its effect on treating depression and anxiety in users.
It also helps battle anxiety and sleeplessness.
However, people with bipolar disorder should not take this since it might increase mania.
Also, to be avoided by those on SSRIs.
Known commonly by names like hog cranberry, uva ursi, and mountain cranberry, this plant grows all over North America.
It belongs to the Ericaceae family and is an evergreen shrub.
This plant has shiny stiff paddle-like leaves and attractive-looking flowers.
Taking this berry extract in the form of a tincture helps to reduce post-partum symptomatology significantly.
It should not be used internally by breastfeeding mothers for prolonged usage.
One of the most common water plants, cattails are common not only in North America but also in many parts of the world.
They grow near water edges and are perennials.
Their brown long hotdog flowerheads are very distinctive.
They find use in postpartum conditions and are good for treating infections.
They also help to control post-partum bleeding and pain, thus helping in a healthy body and happier state of mind.
When I read up on this combination of plants, I realized I could easily procure them and get the best of cures possible for coming out of my state of mind.
Not only did it give me a sense of purpose but also the knowledge that my wellness was in large part in my hands imparted a sense of power as well.
The results have been wonderful for me.
Who is the book not meant for?
This question really does not really apply to this herbal remedies book much.
After all who would not like a resolution of their medical problems with something as basic as beneficial plants?
There is no easier way to seek relief from chronic problems than plant medicine therapy.
- Having said that, I would say that those who are in an emergency situation that needs immediate resolution, should not opt for these remedies. This is mainly because plant remedies take longer to resolve and emergency medical situations will not allow a person the luxury of time.
- Also, for those having preexisting medical conditions that need medications, it is necessary to consult a physician before trying out any of the remedies suggested here.
- Before trying any new remedy from The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies read the ingredients carefully and make sure there are no known things one could be allergic to.
For chronic problems and other issues that are not an emergency, it is highly recommended to go for remedies suggested in this herbal medicine book.
These are useful suggestions that can be easily incorporated into daily life and are of immense value to the user, not only as a cure but also as a way of life.
The Cons: What I did not like?
1) Inability to Identify Plants
Although there are detailed descriptions and photos of all the plants mentioned, some people might still find it difficult to exactly identify a plant.
In that case, there might just be a chance of wrong identification, leading to either lack of the desired effect or in some cases, an undesirable effect.
2) Allergy-triggering components
Some plants might have allergy-triggering components that would be detrimental to the user’s health and wellness.
Normally there is detailed information about each plant and the condition it helps to remedy, but then allergies are personal and vary from individual to individual.
3) Location Problem
Most plants discussed in the herbal medicine book are native to North America and one might find it tough to procure these in other places.
That is one of the biggest drawbacks of plant-based therapies.
Especially in a compilation that sources plants from a specific region.
Although to the writer’s credit most of these plants can also be easily found in many other countries, albeit with a slight variation possibly.
4) Not For Urgent Medical Attention
Plant-based remedies are mostly used to treat minor conditions or irritants that are chronic in nature.
These are definitely not for situations that need urgent attention.
In these conditions, it is definitely not advisable to look towards resolution using plant-based remedies.
5) Effort’s required
It might be quite a task procuring and mixing and grinding and extracting.
Additionally, one might not have the kind of space needed to cultivate and grow basic herbs.
Store-bought ones might not be as fresh as needed.
The Lost Book of Remedies Reviews from Customers
“The lost book of Remedies is by far one of my better books. The book is very well written, fantastic colored illustration, and easy to read. This book is amazing. I purchased 4. One for myself, 3 as gifts. This is a book you need to have. Seriously, I rarely write reviews. This book warrants rave and high reviews. – Doc Washburn St. Louis MO
“I’ve had extensive involvement in healthcare and the unfortunate corruption of conventional medicine and this book is a valuable resource for anyone who wishes to research more options for health remedies that may provide the elusive answer to a stubborn ailment. Plus, being able to grow the plants suggested in this herbal remedies work will enhance the beauty of any landscape!”
“Wow, this book has 2-4 color pictures for every plant, with in-depth identification notes. easy to use. lots of remedies, tinctures, syrups, ointments, poultices, etc. Also, at the end, the book has an index with all the conditions you can think of… and the pages where you’ll find the remedies and plants for your particular needs”
As is to be expected, there are people who have bought the book and have been disappointed in some sense or other.
This is quite normal given each person has different expectations of a particular product.
However, the overall feedback and critical review have been one of very high positivity among users.
Being one of the beneficiaries of the suggested herbal remedies for my condition and having come out of it successfully, it has now become my ready reckoner for anything that I feel is not going particularly well.
I am happy to say that most times, I do find a ready solution here as this is one of my first herbal books.
I believe each of us must have such a book handy at home.
Especially true in a household with a young child, where there will be cuts, bruises, feeding problems, tantrums, sleepless nights, and much more.
The Pros: What I liked
- The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies is THE most comprehensive and detailed documentation of plant medicines. It has every kind of information one would like to have about common plants found around us.
- There is the indexing of medical problems according to types. For example, stomach ailments in one place, skin problems in another, and so forth. It is often easier to search for remedies in this manner, rather than going through each individual ingredient and checking for the kinds of problems it can address.
- Not only remedies for specific conditions but the book also lists common ingredients found commonly in homes and tells the user how they can be used.
- The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies gives detailed instructions to users to make extractions, double extractions, oil infusions, poultices, herb mixes and so much more.
- It is an illustrated treasure trove of information on a staggering variety of plants. By no means is 550 a small number, and this is the number of remedies listed in the book for every kind of condition.
- The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies is a ready reckoner for everything about medicinal plants. This includes the very first step of how to cultivate and look after plants.
- The remedies suggested in the book can pave the way for increased self-reliance and a definitive move away from harmful side effects of modern medicine – great natural alternatives. This is especially true for minor conditions, aches and pains, cuts, and bruises that can be easily dealt with at home.
- The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies provides readers a safe alternative to keep themselves healthy without having to pay doctor’s fees and travel for clinic visits.
- While it may take careful study and some time and practice to pinpoint one’s exact natural remedy and be certain of one’s own conclusion, plant remedies are certainly the way to go. Not only do they help to address bodily issues, but they also help to rid the body of toxin buildup.
- More on toxin cleanup, it is known that free radicals have a way of building up inside the body. This is a result of many factors – exposure to pollution, packaged foods, stress, and much more. These toxins can cause a lot of harm to the body and induce a lot of illness on their own.
- The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies proceeds to help readers correctly identify each of the plants discussed in the book. It helps to correctly select each plant for any particular purpose. This is vital because correct identification will further the process of resolution.
- Along with having a ready reference for different kinds of ailments, The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies helps bring in a lot of confidence and wellness for the user. There is an assuring feeling as if one has a doctor at home to address their needs.
- I do not know about others, but I definitely gained an abiding interest in plants and horticulture which was like a bonus. For someone who has always shied away from plants, The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies taught me not only to recognize and grow plants but also to love them and care for them. That has been a huge plus for me.
- There are a whole lot of home remedies included in this voluminous compilation. We often run out of ideas about common afflictions or problems. This is exactly the gap that The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies fills in for readers.
- Many remedies need careful mixing of different herbs in specified quantities. This may seem tiresome for some people. However, it soon becomes a habit where one feels drawn to doing things hands-on. Getting down to action, mixing and grinding natural herbs, and making extractions, is a way healthier option than popping a pill.
- The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies has been reviewed favorably on Goodreads, which is one of the most reliable parameters of a book review. This enhanced my belief in the merit of this well-compiled book.
Of the multiple pluses that I felt the book has, the one that appealed most to me was the thoroughness and wealth of information about each remedy that the writer took pains to include.
I also appreciated the home remedies section that deals with very commonly available kitchen ingredients and to what use one may put them.
While the book is very detailed and comes with multiple illustrations of each plant at different stages of its growth, there are always chances one might get it wrong.
This is where technology comes to aid. It is better to re-verify images of a plant that you might have procured for a particular reason.
Using Google image search will help in this regard.
Consulting others who have more knowledge will also help to ensure that you have exactly the plant you are looking for.
Along with the multiple pluses that The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies brings to its users, there is also bonus offers on the book now.
Right now, there are two special offers going for buyers:
- There is a special edition Everyday Disaster Medicine Guidebook.
- There is the 80 Square Feet Medicinal Garden SHFT Medicinal Garden.
Besides these offers which keep coming and going on the website, there is the benefit of secure transactions on the website.
Along with that, there is always the reliability of ordering directly from the website.
Every guideline of sale, as well as guarantees, will apply and be honored when the purchase is made directly from the official website.
Remember that this wonderful compilation of plant-based remedies is a one-time purchase and it is not like one will have to keep getting one every once in a while.
A click in the right place will hand the buyer the key to unlock several lost remedies and keep using them for all times to come.
Since this is an online version in the form of an eBook, all genuine buyers are entitled to upgrades and any new additions to existing remedies.
This is another reason to purchase directly from the website and avail of benefits for every bonafide buyer.
Why am I saying all this, the reader might wonder!
All that I stated at the beginning of this section, has been to reinforce the need to buy directly from the website.
I wouldn’t encourage anyone to buy from retail sites like Amazon or eBay because you definitely are not going to get these bonuses and special offers.
To be honest, the compilation and list of remedies and variety of content in this eBook are so diverse and extensive that I am yet to go through all of it.
And I say this months into my purchase and regular use.
You can imagine how detailed the content is from this statement.
This is obviously a great benefit because those who do not have much knowledge about herbs and their medical properties can gain a good in-depth understanding by simply reading this book.
There is no dearth of conventional medicines and pills for every ailment and issue.
However, it is known that there might be side effects from these.
Why choose to suffer these at all when medicinally beneficial plants can help?
Just try out these and see for yourself the difference they make to you.
Your own copy of The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies is barely a click away!