Welcome to our review of the best survival books of all time…
Survival is one of the most basic and primal human instincts.
These instincts can automatically kick in and prove very useful when we’re faced with an emergency or disaster.
However, comfortable modern life doesn’t exactly equip us with the necessary survival skills to complement these instincts.
When disaster strikes and all hell breaks loose you’re going to need your instincts AND some crucial survival skills.
They may just save your life.
Here's What's In Store For You...
- 13 Top Survivalist Handbooks Ever Written – Outdoor Life Books For Survival Skills
- 1) The Lost Ways Survival Book by Claude Davis
- 2) The Lost Book of Herbal Remedies by Dr. Nicole Apelian
- 3) Alive after the Fall
- 4) Your Survival by Dr. Bob Arnot and Mark Cohen
- 5) Wilderness Survival 2nd edition by Gregory J. Davenport
- 6) How to Stay Alive in the Woods by Bradford Angier
- 7) Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen
- 8) Be Ready When The Sh*t Goes Down by Forrest Griffin
- 9) Northern Bushcraft by Mors L. Kochanski
- 10) The Survival Handbook by Colin Towell
- 11) Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere – Alive by Les Stroud
- 12) Tom Brown’s Field Guide to Wilderness Survival
- 13) Mountaineering First Aid: A Guide to Accident Response and First Aid Care
- What type of wilderness survival skills can you learn from the best survival books?
- Wilderness survival skills for outdoor life and primitive wilderness living
- Books for basic living skills and everyday survival tips
- Disaster strikes in my home city, Christchurch, New Zealand
- In summary
13 Top Survivalist Handbooks Ever Written – Outdoor Life Books For Survival Skills
We’ve put several hours of research into finding the best survival books available in 2021.
From the complete newbie to those who are already experienced in wilderness survival, there’s something for everyone.
What type of wilderness survival skills can you learn from the best survival books?
Outdoor survival books share some of the best survival hacks and crucial strategies for self-preservation in any survival situation.
Of course, you might want to further develop your wilderness survival skills in other ways.
A survival app could be helpful, along with related training courses.
The top wilderness survival books may be exactly what you need to get started before you decide which skills you want to develop further.
Reading survival books is a great first step to take before you’ll ultimately apply your knowledge in the real world.
Wilderness survival skills for outdoor life and primitive wilderness living
The wilderness survival books we have carefully selected can help you in many ways.
Some of the survival skills and advice they cover include:
- Bushcraft first aid care
- Building shelters
- Finding food and identifying wild edible plants
- Recommendations for the best survival gear
- Compass skills
- Other survival skills to help you stay alive in the woods
Overall, the advice in these books will help you enjoy your next outdoor adventure with confidence.
Many of these books can also help you learn important long-term survival skills should you ever need them.
Books for basic living skills and everyday survival tips
Not only focused on the great outdoors, but some of the survival books we’ve chosen have also improved readers’ everyday lives.
From personal safety tips to preserving food or setting up off-the-grid power for everyday life you’ll have your modern survival skills sorted.
One reality we all have to face is that mother nature, and even the world in general can be unpredictable.
Natural disasters or manmade attacks could strike at any time.
Specific knowledge that you can apply in these types of survival situations is crucial for self-preservation.
It could be the difference between life and death.
Disaster strikes in my home city, Christchurch, New Zealand
Several years ago, more than one large earthquake hit my home city of Christchurch, New Zealand.
One of the large earthquakes with its epicenter in the city proved fatal for over 200 people. Another destroyed many homes in the area.
These earthquakes affected the lives of every person in our city.
In the initial aftermath of disasters like these, you might require significant physical strength to simply get yourself and others out of danger zones.
Physical stamina and endurance may be needed.
If roads are blocked or destroyed you might need to walk for several hours to reunite with loved ones.
First aid skills are also invaluable during these times.
In the days and weeks following the major earthquakes in our city, power outages and water loss affected the lives of everyday people.
Line ups for gas and water refills highlighted just how unprepared most of us were for this situation.
And although the earthquake wasn’t able to be predicted or avoided, there were steps we could have taken to be better prepared.
The earthquakes spurred everyone into action.
This was the first time that most people in our city had ever considered putting together a survival kit.
And from that point onwards, EVERYONE made sure they had one.
Don’t wait for a disaster to spur you into action.
Whatever your reasons for exploring this topic now, we’ve got you sorted with our top recommendations for the best survival books.
There are several great survival books on the market.
Maybe you’re looking for one because you were inspired by the reality TV show “Dual Survival”.
Or perhaps you know you want to arm yourself with more knowledge and skills for your next outdoor adventure.
Conversely, you might just want to be as prepared as you can be for any disaster – natural or manmade.
Whatever your motivations, we hope you’ve gained some insights on where to start with a survival book that’s just right for where you’re at.
After you’ve read one or more survival books, it’s time to apply your theoretical knowledge.
Take action and put together your survival kit.
If you’ve already read many of our recommendations above, some other highly recommended survival books include:
- 100 Deadly Skills: The SEAL Operative’s Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture, and Surviving Any Dangerous Situation
- SAS Survival Handbook, Third Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Surviving Anywhere
- Special Forces Survival Guide: Wilderness Survival Skills from the World’s Most Elite Military Units
- The Survival Medicine Handbook: A Guide for When Help is Not on the Way