Many people use whey powders to enhance their muscle mass. However, this protein choice might cause acne and cancer.
According to a study from France, pea protein use can cause greater muscle thickness by 13.5% compared to animal-based protein powders such as whey protein.
In this article, you will find the best vegan protein powder that suits your health needs.
At a Glance
- Best Vegan Protein Powder Overall: FutureKind Vegan Protein Powder
- Best Unflavored Organic Pea Protein: Naked Pea Protein Powder
- Best Pre-Workout Vegan Protein Powder: Huge Vegan Protein
- Best Low-Carb Protein Powder: Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan
- Best Protein Supplement for Gut Health: Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein
Top 11 Plant-Based Protein Powders Brands
1) Best Overall: FutureKind Vegan Protein Powder
There are many flavored protein powders, and if you are looking for the best vegan protein supplement that offers a delicious, balanced taste, FutureKind might be suitable for you.
This organic pea protein supplement was first introduced to the market in 2021.
Although it has only been a year, the company received thousands of positive customer reviews.
The taste of this organic pea protein powder is smooth, and the formula itself is easy to digest. It comes with a complete amino acid profile to support your muscle health.
According to the company, the FutureKind protein powder can support healthy body weight, boost energy levels and metabolism, and enhance immune health.
This protein supplement gives 20 grams of protein per serving. Other ingredients of the FutureKind protein supplement include the following:
- Dietary fiber
Note that this protein supplement gives 85 calories and 288 mg of sodium per serving.
Those who want to take plant-based proteins with less sodium might not appreciate it.
- The company offers a 10% discount on your first purchase when you subscribe using your email. It is also possible to pay the supplement in 4 gives, with no interest!
- The company also offers a 100% 60-day money-back guarantee in case of shipping issues or dissatisfaction.
- This protein supplement is non-GMO, soy-free, and gluten-free, and the formula is third-party labs tested to ensure users the safety and effectiveness of the supplement.
- Although the formula of the FutureKind protein supplement is clean, the company states that it is manufactured in a facility where other companies have created products that might include peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, milk, and egg ingredients. Those with allergies to these substances must take note of this.
2) Best Unflavored Organic Pea Protein: Naked Pea Protein Powder
Many vegan protein powders on the market come with proprietary protein blends.
If you are buying these supplements, ensure that the proprietary blend ingredients are listed on the label.
So, if you are looking for a transparent protein powder formula, you might want to give the Naked Pea Powder.
This supplement is one of the unflavored protein powders manufactured by Naked Nutrition. The company is proud of its uniqueness compared to other vegan protein powders.
The protein powder only contains one ingredient – yellow pea protein. According to the company, this pea protein can easily be absorbed into the body.
In terms of the formula of this protein powder, it contains essential vitamins and nine essential amino acids. Additionally, it gives you 27 grams of protein per serving.
Compared to other vegan protein powders, this one has a high protein content per serving, making it one of the excellent choices in helping your muscles recover and gain better thickness.
One great thing about this protein powder is that it can boost protein intake and promote better fat-burning effects.
- The protein powder formula contains no additives, added sugars, and artificial sweeteners. It is dairy-free, gluten-free, non-GMO, and soy-free.
- This protein powder is third-party labs tested.
- You will get a 30% discount on your first order when you subscribe using your email.
- According to the company, this protein powder can reduce cravings.
- According to some users, this protein powder blends smoothly and consistently. Their only concern is that it can sometimes cause bloating, especially on the first use.
3) Best Pre-Workout Vegan Protein Powder: Huge Vegan Protein
The Huge Vegan Protein powder is highly recommended for athletes and gym enthusiasts looking for the best pre-workout vegan protein powders.
Huge Supplements manufacture this protein powder. According to the company, this supplement stimulates muscle protein synthesis for better muscle gains and healthy muscle growth.
Many users love this protein powder because it contains essential and branched-chain amino acids.
Additionally, using it can give you 20 grams of protein per serving. Other ingredients of this protein powder include the following:
- Brown rice
- Fava beans
- Mung beans
Although this organic brown rice protein powder is cholesterol-free, it is worth mentioning that it contains 100 calories per serving and 1.5 grams of fat per serving.
- Compared to other vegan protein powders, the Huge Vegan Protein comes in different flavors, such as birthday cake, cookies and cream, cinnamon crunch, graham cracker, and marshmallow madness.
- Suitable as a pre-workout and post-workout supplement. It boosts energy and reduces muscle fatigue.
- According to some users, this protein powder can be easily mixed with water.
- Take note that all of the flavors of this plant-based protein powder contain artificial sweeteners, wheat, and soy. Those who are allergic to these substances should not use this supplement.
4) Best Low-Carb Protein Powder: ProteinSeries Organic Vegan
There are many vegan protein powders on the market that contain carbohydrates.
Although these carbs can boost your energy, they might not be that effective for promoting weight loss support on your vegan diet.
So, if you are looking for the best vegan protein powders that offer a low amount of carbohydrates, you might want to consider ProteinSeries Organic Vegan.
This plant-based protein powder is manufactured by the company Transparent Labs. According to the company, this supplement works by supporting muscle health.
Per serving of this protein powder gives you 24 grams of protein. Other ingredients include the following:
- 3 grams of carbohydrates per serving
- 2 grams of fat per serving
- 120 calories
According to the company, everything else in this vegan supplement is organic except for the sodium content from Himalayan rock salt.
Also, note that the salt content (310 mg per serving) of the ProteinSeries Organic Vegan is higher than other best vegan protein powders.
- This plant-based protein powder contains no cholesterol, soy, gluten, and preservatives.
- According to some users, the flavors, especially the vanilla protein powder, are palatable.
- One important thing to note when buying this protein supplement is that it contains no vitamins or minerals.
5) Best Protein Supplement for Gut Health: Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein
The best vegan protein supplements should also support metabolism and gut health.
So, if you are looking for protein supplements that can help you improve your digestion, Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein is highly recommended.
This organic protein supplement is manufactured by the company Orgain.
This company started in the health and wellness industry in 2009.
Taking it gives you 21 grams of protein per serving and 6 grams of probiotics with dietary fiber.
It also contains vitamins like calcium, potassium, and iron. Aside from this, it also includes the following ingredients:
- Organic cocoa
- Organic brown rice
- Organic chia seeds
One great thing about this supplement is that it is certified organic and plant-based.
It has a complete amino acid profile that can support your overall health!
You can also go for the Vega Sport Protein Powder if you have an extra budget.
This supplement comes with billions of probiotics and 30 grams of protein.
The protein is sourced from organic sunflower seed protein.
- Aside from vanilla flavor, this brown rice protein supplement has different flavors, such as creamy chocolate fudge, chocolate coconut, chocolate caramel sea salt, chocolate peanut butter, and peanut butter.
- The formula of this organic brown rice protein supplement is non-GMO, dairy-free, and gluten-free. It contains no soy and added sugars as well.
- One thing to note before buying this protein supplement is that it has not undergone third-party lab testing compared to most vegan protein powders.
6) Best Vegan Protein Supplement for Weight Loss: KOS Organic Plant Protein
Many individuals on a vegan diet aim to lose weight. However, diet and exercising alone cannot produce positive effects in no time.
Thus, the use of protein supplements is highly recommended.
So, if you are looking for protein supplements to help you lose weight, you might consider the KOS Organic Plant Protein.
This protein supplement was first introduced to the market in the year 2017. Since then, the company, KOS, has received thousands of positive reviews from its customers.
Taking this protein supplement gives you 20 grams of protein per serving.
Additionally, the calorie content depends on the flavors.
The vanilla protein powder variant comes with the least calorie content of 150 per serving.
Furthermore, the high protein blend of this supplement includes the following:
- Pumpkin seed
- Chia seed
According to a South African study, pumpkin seeds have antioxidant effects that can prevent liver injuries.
If it scares you to take supplements because you believe these can damage your liver, consider the KOS brand is worth the try!
This pumpkin seed protein supplement is also rich in vitamins that can support your immune system, especially during the pandemic!
One great thing about this pumpkin protein supplement is that, although it contains no probiotics, it can promote added digestive support as it contains digestive enzymes.
- The formula of the KOS Organic Plant Protein is certified organic. It is dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free.
- Supports weight loss, the immune system, and digestion.
- Based on some reviews, some users report that this supplement’s flavors are not palatable to the taste compared to supplements with plant proteins.
7) Best Protein Supplement for Muscle Repair: Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein
If you are looking for the best vegan proteins that can support muscle repair in no time, you might be looking for the Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein.
Compared to other vegan proteins on this list, this one is the only protein powder with probiotics and digestive enzymes, making it second best for gut health after the Orgain Organic Plant-Based Supplement brand.
Furthermore, this supplement gives you 4 grams of branched-chain amino acids and 22 grams of protein per serving.
The protein blend comprises peas, raw sprouted sunflower seeds, grains, and legumes.
According to the company, this protein supplement provides muscle-building effects and can reduce muscle recovery time.
Additionally, this protein supplement contains many vitamins that can support your immune system.
- The Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein comes in unflavored and flavored versions. The flavors of this protein supplement are chocolate, vanilla, and vanilla chai.
- The Garden Life Raw Organic Protein formula is gluten-, dairy-free, and soy-free. It also contains no added sugars. It is certified organic, certified vegan, and non-GMO verified.
- Based on product reviews, this supplement, when mixed with water, can provide a creamy texture. But, some users report that the flavors of this protein supplement are not that good. However, mixing them with almond milk makes the taste tolerable.
8) Best No Rice Protein Supplement: PlantFusion Complete Protein
Many protein powders contain rice proteins. However, this rice protein content can leave a chalky taste in your mouth.
So, if you are looking for a plant-based protein supplement with no rice protein, you might want to try the PlantFusion Complete Protein.
This complete vegan protein supplement contains protein, branched-chain AAs, vitamins, and digestive enzymes.
One great thing about this protein supplement is that it provides enough protein. Per serving can give you 21 grams of protein to boost your energy levels.
Furthermore, this protein supplement has a natural flavor; many users love it because it is sugar-free.
- The formula of this protein supplement is non-GMO, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It has no soy and rice substances.
- Supports healthy muscle growth and muscle repair.
- This protein supplement has undergone third-party lab testing to ensure its safety and efficacy of the supplement.
- Take note that this protein supplement contains stevia. Many users might not appreciate this substance.
9) Best Protein Supplement with Healthy Fats: ALOHA Organic Plant-Based Protein
It is also fine for protein supplements to have fat content.
However, these fats should be sourced from healthy substances.
So, if you want a protein supplement that offers healthy fats, you might want to give the ALOHA Organic Plant-Based Protein.
This protein supplement is manufactured by the company Project Healthy Living, Inc.
According to the company, this protein supplement is infused with medium-chain triglycerides and, per serving, gives you 18 grams of protein.
The blend of protein for this supplement comes from peas, brown rice, pumpkin seeds, and hemp seeds.
Take note that the hemp protein in this formula is responsible for the muscle-building effects of the supplement.
Consistent with a study from the Czech Republic, an organic hemp protein powder can enhance muscle quality.
Thus, if you wish to focus on your muscle growth when you buy protein supplements, go for the ones with hemp protein content.
- The formula of this plant-based protein is gluten-free, erythritol-free, and dairy-free. It is certified organic and non-GMO verified.
- According to some users, this protein supplement is great-tasting. It can be used in different recipes and shakes.
- Although this plant-based protein contains no sugar alcohol, it still has high sugar. Per serving gives you 5 grams.
10) Best Vegan Powder with Vegetables: Vega Protein and Greens
If you are truly a vegan and do not want to focus on peas, you might want to try Vega Protein and Greens. This supplement is filled with different vegetables, such as organic kale, alfalfa, broccoli, and spinach.
Per serving of this supplement gives you 20 grams of protein. Other ingredients of this protein supplement include:
- Saturated fats
- Dietary fibers
Note that the Vega Protein and Greens protein are sourced from brown rice protein and sacha inchi protein.
- The Vega Protein and Greens formula contain no added sugars or artificial sweeteners. It is also grain-free, lactose-free, and gluten-free.
- Aside from unsweetened flavor, this supplement is also available in vanilla, chocolate, salted caramel, berry, coconut almond, and tropical flavors.
- This protein supplement is keto-friendly.
- Based on product reviews, some users report that Vega Protein and Greens are hard to mix. Sometimes, you will need a blender to achieve a creamy texture.
11) Best-Tasting Protein Supplement: OWYN Plant Protein Powder
Sometimes, even flavored protein supplements do not taste good.
When you buy these kinds of products, the tendency is that your money will go to waste.
Thus, you should always go for the best-tasting supplements; if you are looking for one, the OWYN Plant Protein Powder is highly recommended.
Aside from the taste, this protein supplement comes with many benefits.
First, per serving can give you 20 grams of protein, 7 grams of net carbohydrates, nine essential amino acids, and 1 billion probiotics.
Moreover, because of its kale, spinach, and broccoli blend, aside from promoting muscle recovery, it also promotes optimal daily health.
- The formula of this protein supplement is dairy-free and gluten-free. It contains no sugar, alcohol, soy, wheat, eggs, and peanuts.
- Provides digestive and immune support.
- This protein supplement is third-party labs tested. The OWYN company ensures that it provides a transparent formula to its users.
- Based on product reviews, users report that this protein supplement promotes chalkiness. But when combined with shakes, this taste disappears.
How to Choose the Best Vegan Proteins
When you buy protein supplements, you might want to consider some factors to optimize your money and health. Some of the factors you can consider include:
- Quality and Safety
- Money-Back Guarantee
- Grams of Protein
- Ease of Use
It is also advisable to buy the ones that suit your taste.
Many protein supplements are not palatable to the taste, so you can look into product reviews for reference.
Indeed, protein supplements do not only promote healthy effects on the muscles.
Instead, they can also manage weight, improve gut health, and enhance immune health.
Since there are many protein supplements on the market, you must know which is most suitable for you.
For flavored, unflavored, and best-tasting protein supplements, you can go for the FutureKind Protein Powder, Naked Pea Protein Powder, and OWYN Plant Protein Powder.
On the other hand, if you want a low-carb one, you can choose the ProteinSeries Organic Vegan.
The Huge Vegan Protein, Garden of Life Raw Organic Protein, and KOS Organic Plant Protein are highly recommended for athletes and those who want to lose weight.
To support your gut health and overall wellness, you can try the Orgain Organic Plant-Based Protein or ALOHA Organic Plant-Based Protein.
Lastly, the most recommended protein supplements for vegans are PlantFusion Complete Protein and Vega Protein and Greens.