Chin liposuction, “chin lipo”, or submental liposuction, is a type of surgery done for a more defined and slimmer chin.
Unwanted fats on the body can be hidden with clothes, but a chin is an apparent part of your profile.
Stubborn fat on the neck and chin can be complicated to remove with exercise and diet alone.
If you want to have a more defined jawline and are unsatisfied by how your double chin hinders that, you’re not alone. Getting chin liposuction can yield subtle yet dramatic results.
Chin liposuction is an excellent treatment option among the available double chin surgeries. It is a minimally invasive and fast procedure.
However, it is essential to be aware of all the details of undergoing chin liposuction to achieve safe and effective results.
Considering Double Chin Surgery? Know Your Options
How Do I Get Rid of a Double Chin?
A double chin, also called submental fullness, can result from hereditary factors, weight, anatomy, and airway positioning.
According to the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, as many as 68% of people have a double chin.
As people age, the neck is one of the first places showing sagging and fat pockets.
This loose skin and excess fat can affect the appearance of your overall facial profile and jawline definition.
Different plastic surgery methods can be done to solve these issues.
Plastic surgeons use several types of procedures that can enhance the appearance of your chin, such as a neck lift, chin implant, facelift, and chin lipo.
Chin liposuction is a less invasive and simple procedure to achieve a defined jawline and slimmer face.
What is Double Chin Surgery?
Double chin surgery involves various procedures that tackle the issues that create a double chin.
They can shape and contour your face, remove excess fat around your neck and chin, and smooth the skin. It is intended for patients with excess fat, wrinkling, and a lack of jawline.
The following procedures are used to correct a double chin:
- Chin liposuction – removes fat from beneath the skin and sculpts the chin and neck contour. It works by inserting a small tube and making small incisions into the chin. It gently suctions a small and strategic amount of fat to create a natural-looking profile. It can be performed under local anesthesia.
- Facial liposuction – gives a better definition in the chin and neck for a more youthful appearance. Facial lipo is often combined with other cosmetic procedures such as a facelift, Kybella, dermal fillers, or laser skin resurfacing.
- Neck lift – neck liposuction aims to remove extra skin or tighten neck muscles to improve the contours of the neck and chin by making small incisions. Neck lift procedures are performed under general anesthesia, resulting in swelling, bruising, loss of facial sensitivity, and other side effects.
These procedures can be combined to get a better result in the chin and neck area.
This combination includes a neck lift, neck muscle tightening, and chin augmentation with a chin implant. Generally, the skin tightens on its own after liposuction procedures.
However, in some cases, additional skin tightening treatments are needed.
Kybella for non-surgical tightening of neck skin can be an option after plastic surgery.
Furthermore, a chin implant and neck liposuction can improve the aesthetic angles of the chin and neck.
Nonsurgical alternative to liposuction
If you want a less invasive way to remove unwanted fat under your chin, there are options, such as Kybella and Coolsculpting treatments. However, they usually take multiple sessions with less visible results.
Kybella is an injectable treatment for excess fat on the chin.
The gallbladder uses deoxycholic acid to dissolve dietary fat. When this fat is injected beneath the skin, it melts fat cells on the injection area then the body reabsorbs it.
This method requires several treatments spaced out over several weeks. It requires an average of 2 to 3 treatments, but it can take up to 6. The amount depends on the patient and excess fat present in the treatment area.
Local anesthetics are applied to the area before treatment with Kybella. However, side effects can still occur with this nonsurgical alternative. A patient can experience pain, swelling, bruising, redness, and numbness.
How much is Chin Liposuction?
Chin liposuction is less invasive and less time-consuming than other double chin surgeries.
The cost will also be less depending on the complexity of the procedure, quality of facility, medication, equipment used, and the type of anesthesia.
According to the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, the cost can range from $1200 to $12700. On the other hand, chin liposuction can vary between $3000 to $5000 per treatment.
Chin Lipo Procedure
A chin is the most manageable area in the body to treat with liposuction.
Chin Lipo only requires a small incision beneath the chin or behind the ears. A small tube called a liposuction cannula is inserted to loosen and remove fat.
Eventually, your neck and chin is contoured and sculpted for a natural look.
Furthermore, it is an outpatient surgical procedure that can be done at a doctor’s clinic or office.
The procedure involves these steps:
- A board-certified plastic surgeon will determine if you are eligible to undergo chin liposuction.
- A scheduled appointment will be made that will accommodate your time for recovery.
- The chin and neck are examined and marked before the surgery.
- The skin is cleansed with an antiseptic solution to reduce infection.
- A local anesthetic is injected that causes numbing on the area. Although unnecessary, you can choose to take general anesthetics, which causes sedation and risks.
- Once the anesthetics take effect, small incisions are made in the skin to insert the liposuction cannula.
- The cannula will gently suction excess fat underneath the skin. A back and forth fanning motion is strategically maneuvered with the cannula.
- The plastic surgeon will remove just enough fat in the area to sculpt and contour the face smoothly and symmetrically.
- Finally, the wounds are bandaged if necessary, and a special chin strap is placed to support the skin during the healing process.
What You Need to Know Before a Chin Liposuction
It would be best if you communicated your desired outcome properly. Ask questions about the procedure to have realistic expectations of your results.
You will need someone to take you to and from the surgery center or clinic. Wear comfortable or loose clothes that are easy to take off after surgery.
Additionally, do not forget to take time off from work after surgery.
The procedure won’t be painful. Local anesthesia is enough to numb the area before incisions.
Before getting Chin Liposuction you must be a good candidate for the procedure.
- Be in good overall health
- Have elastic skin and fat deposits
- Do not smoke
- Have realistic expectations
- Should be around the age of 20 to 50 years old
- Double chin surgery does not require general anesthesia; it is possible to do it with a local anesthetic with fewer side effects and complications.
- There is minimal downtime after plastic surgery. You can return to daily activities in 1 to 2 weeks.
- If you maintain a consistent weight, the results of chin liposuction are permanent.
- The procedure only removes the fat under your chin and neck but does not improve skin quality. Nevertheless, other procedures can be considered to remove excess sagging skin or improve the tightness of neck skin.
- Swelling and some bruising will appear in the first week after surgery.
- The general anesthesia used for pain can cause risks for patients with serious health conditions. Fortunately, you can choose to take local anesthetics instead for chin liposuction.
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin may increase bleeding risk during the procedure.
- It is possible that you will not achieve the results you want. Hence, it is crucial to find a skilled plastic surgeon and discuss exactly what outcome you want after plastic surgery.
Recovery after Chin Liposuction
The surgery will take over 30 minutes to an hour, depending on the patient. You can go home immediately after a few stitches that will be removed in a week.
Swelling and bruising may occur for 3 to 5 days.
Furthermore, the final result will be seen in about a month. If you have any complaints or experience persistent pain and discomfort, inform your doctor immediately.
- Recovery will be quick since facial liposuction is an outpatient procedure. Most patients return to work and resume normal activities within a few days.
- A doctor will recommend applying antibiotic ointment over the tiny incisions areas. Pain relief medications will be prescribed to help with any possible discomfort after.
- Patients are going to wear a compression neck wrap garment or chin strap for the first week after surgery to help decrease swelling. This technique will also aid in skin tightening.
- A patient will need to rest for at least 24 hours after the treatment and avoid strenuous exercise for about 2 weeks.
- A patient can return to work within a week and get back to daily activities in two weeks.
- Wear clothes that are loose-fitting around the neck.
- Move your neck as little as possible and keep your head elevated above your heart.
- Eat soft meals that are easy to chew after surgery. Plenty of proteins and a balanced diet are also essential to aid in healing.
- Prepare your home to be comfortable and convenient during recovery.
Chin Liposuction is one of the less invasive and the fastest procedure you can choose for double chin surgery.
A double chin may seem like a minor cosmetic issue, but getting a slimmer face and defined jawline makes a significant improvement on your overall facial profile.
Getting rid of stubborn neck and chin fat can make you look thinner and younger.
Unlike other excess fatty deposits in the body, the chin cannot be concealed. Enhancing the appearance of your chin can boost your self-esteem if this issue bothers you.
You can make a better impression on people if you are fully confident about yourself.
Ensure that you are well prepared before your treatment and communicate with your doctor properly. Chin liposuction is a permanent procedure, and you must know your preferences and be ready for recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Will the procedure be painful?
Chin liposuction will cause minimal discomfort because it is less invasive than other surgeries. Local anesthetics will be used to numb the area of treatment. Moreover, you can take pain relief medicines after surgery.
How long before I see results?
Significant results will appear when the swelling and bruising are gone. After a few months, skin tightening will smooth the chin.
Are the results permanent?
The results of chin liposuction are permanent. However, factors such as consistent weight management will help maintain the amount of fat on your chin.
How many sessions do I need?
Only one session is needed for chin liposuction, unlike non-invasive treatments that usually require more than 3 sessions.
What should I tell my doctor before surgery?
Your doctor will consult you to examine your chin and assess your health. Discuss your goals, medical history, medications, and alcohol or tobacco use with your doctor. If you are eligible to undergo chin liposuction, a consent form will be signed. It acknowledges that you are aware of the procedure's risks and entrust the plastic surgeon to perform the surgery on you.
What preparations should I make?
Your doctor will recommend that you avoid smoking, eat a healthy diet, and exercise regularly before the surgery. Medicines that cause blood thinning should be avoided for 10 days before surgery.
What is the advantage of Chin Liposuction?
This procedure will help you achieve a more defined jawline and well-shaped chin. Results of chin liposuction can make you look younger and thinner naturally. Moreover, it is less expensive, invasive, and time-consuming than other cosmetic surgeries for double chin.
When should I call my doctor after surgery?
A follow-up appointment will be scheduled to remove your stitches. However, call your doctor immediately if you experience the following:
- Bleeding and drainage on incision site.
- Chest pain and dizziness
- High fever
- Persistent pain
- Nausea or vomiting
These may be signs of an infection and need prompt attention and treatment.