Not only male gym enthusiasts are capable of using protein powders to increase their muscle mass. Even women can use these dietary supplements.
According to a study from the USA, women who consumed protein powders with high protein content were able to lose fat by 87%.
In this article, you will find the best protein powder for women that is safe and effective to use daily.
At a Glance
- Best Overall: Crazy Nutrition Tri-Protein
- Best Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder: Orgain Clean Whey
- Best Soluble: Huge Whey Protein Powder
- Best Cholesterol-Free Protein Supplement: Huge Vegan Protein
- Best-Flavored: Sprout Living Epic Protein
- Best High-Quality Protein Intake Formula: Vega Protein & Greens Protein Powder
- Best Protein Powder for Energy Support: The Fit Protein – Whey Creamy Vanilla
- Best Budget-Friendly Protein Powder for Women: ALOHA Organic Protein Powder
- Best Pre-Workout Protein for Women: Tone It Up Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
- Best Protein Supplement for Muscles: Optimum Gold Standard Protein Powder
The 10 Top Protein Powders for Women
1) Best Overall: Crazy Nutrition Tri-Protein
Protein supplementation is an effective way for women to burn fat, and for women who are looking for vegan protein powders, the Crazy Nutrition Tri-Protein is highly recommended.
According to the company, although this protein supplement comes with simple ingredients, it is more preferred than hemp protein or soy protein formulas in helping you achieve your body goals.
It works by triggering protein synthesis, thereby producing the following health benefits:
- Build lean muscle mass
- Boost metabolism
- Suppress appetite
- Enhance energy
One great thing about this plant-based protein powder is that it is made with digestive enzymes.
According to a study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food, these digestive enzymes can prevent bloating, nausea, heartburn, and gas.
So, if you want to be sure that you will not experience any of these side effects, choosing the Crazy Nutrition Tri-Protein is a wise choice.
Furthermore, taking this protein supplement gives you 21 grams of protein per serving and 97 calories per serving.
To use this plant-based protein supplement, mix one scoop of the powder with 16 ounces of water. You can also add protein powder to a protein shake for better taste.
For other best-selling products of Crazy Nutrition, you can click here.
Also, there are other best vegan protein-type supplements.
- This plant-based protein type powder comes in different flavors such as chocolate, caramel sea salt, and vanilla.
- The company offers free shipping on all orders and a 10% 60-day money-back guarantee.
- The Crazy Nutrition Tri-Protein is a low-carb dietary supplement. It also contains very low grams of sodium.
- The proteins of this plant-based dietary supplement are easy to absorb and digest.
- Take note that this plant-based protein type supplement contains sucralose.
2) Best-Flavored Protein Powder for Women: Sprout Living Epic Protein
Many protein supplements offer a bland taste and users address this issue by making their powders protein shakes.
But if you do not want any hassle and be assured that the protein powder you buy is palatable to your taste buds, you might want to consider the Sprout Living Epic Protein.
This protein supplement is organic and it also contains prebiotics to support your gut health.
Per serving gives you 26 grams of plant-based protein, 110 calories, and all the essential amino acids.
Other ingredients of this protein powder include:
- Cranberry Seed
- Jerusalem Artichoke Root
- Organic Pea Protein
- Pumpkin Seed Protein
- Sacha Inchi Protein
- Sunflower Seed Protein
- Calcium, iron, and potassium
One great thing about this company is that, if you are unsure what flavors to buy, you can go for the sample kits.
These are one-time-use sachets that are pre-measured.
Also, take note that each flavor offers different grams of protein per serving. Thus, choose the best one depending on how much protein your body needs.
For other best-tasting protein powders, you can click here.
- The formula of the Sprout Living Epic Protein is certified organic and certified vegan. It is non-GMO and gluten-free. It also contains no added sugar, soy, fillers, and grains.
- Aside from the unflavored version, this protein powder comes in different flavors such as vanilla lucuma, green kingdom, chocolate maca, and mindful matcha.
- According to some users, the texture and consistency of the different flavors of the protein powders are smooth and creamy.
- This protein powder contains a high amount of sodium, around 300 mg per serving. For those who want to lose weight, this ingredient should be noted.
3) Best High-Quality Protein Intake Formula: Vega Protein & Greens Protein Powder
Many protein powders contain potent formulas.
However, there are times when they only focus on the whey protein and amino acid content.
So, if you are looking for a nutritious and at the same time, high-quality protein formula, you might want to give the Vega Protein & Greens Protein Powder a try.
Per serving of this protein powder gives you 20 grams of protein, 120 calories, and all the essential AAs.
It is also a low-carb protein powder with no added sugar.
Moreover, per serving, you get the health benefits of the following greens:
Because of the ingredients above, users consider Vega Protein & Greens Protein Powder as the healthiest protein powder on the market.
One great thing about the formula of this protein powder is that the proteins are sourced from pea protein.
According to the company, the pea protein is farmed from North American farms to give you the following health benefits:
- Healthy muscle growth
- Immune support
- Management of body weight
To use this protein powder, mix one scoop with 10 fluid ounces of water. You can also use a blender and make your favorite protein shakes!
Learn more about other protein shakes for weight loss.
- Aside from the plain version, this protein powder comes in different flavors such as chocolate, salted caramel, vanilla, berry, and coconut almond.
- When you subscribe using your email, you get a 20% discount, and access to exclusive offers, recipes, and other wellness tips.
- The formula of this protein powder is certified vegan, non-GMO, and gluten-free.
- According to the company, this protein powder is not a low-calorie supplement. Compared to other protein supplements, this one has the highest calorie content.
- Some users report the taste of stevia. According to the company, adding a squeeze of lemon can help you address this issue.
4) Best Grass-Fed Whey Protein Powder: Orgain Clean Whey
Apart from plant-based protein powders, there are also animal-based protein powders.
If you are looking for the latter protein type, the Orgain Clean Whey is highly recommended.
Taking this whey protein type supplement gives you 4 grams of prebiotics to support gut health, 21 grams of whey protein concentrate from grass-fed cows, 5 grams of branched-chain amino acids for muscle recovery, and 11 grams of carbohydrates to enhance your energy.
Take note that this supplement does not come with calories. Other ingredients of the Orgain Clean Whey protein powder include:
- Calcium, iron, and potassium
- Organic sunflower lecithin
- Stevia extract
To use this whey concentrate powder, mix 2 scoops of the powder with 12 ounces of water or almond milk. You can also make a protein shake with chia seed using this whey concentrate powder.
There is another Orgain Organic Protein supplement and this one contains chia seeds, unlike the Clean Whey.
- This whey protein powder comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors.
- If you subscribe using your email, you can get a 20% discount and free shipping on all orders. If you opt not to subscribe, you can get free shipping when you purchase at least $45.
- The formula of this whey concentrate powder is gluten-free. It also contains no added sugar, artificial sweeteners, soy, preservatives, and hormones.
- According to some users, although this protein supplement offers a great nutritional value, the taste of this whey concentrate protein supplement is not that great.
5) Best Soluble Protein Powder for Women: Huge Whey Protein Powder
One issue about most protein powders is their solubility because not all protein powders are easy to mix and dissolve.
So, if you do not want to experience this, the Huge Whey protein supplement is highly recommended.
The formula of the Huge Whey protein supplement is also unique. The protein content is both sourced from whey protein concentrate and whey protein isolate.
According to the company, this protein blend can help you achieve healthy muscle growth.
Furthermore, the whey protein isolate offers 90% protein content. On the other hand, the whey concentrate offers 80% protein content.
Other benefits you can get from this high-protein diet supplement are weight loss, fat burn, and enhanced muscle strength.
Per serving of this whey protein isolate and concentrate blend can give you 23.5 grams of protein, 145 calories, and 5 grams of branched-chain AAs.
Other ingredients of this protein supplement include the following:
One great thing about this protein supplement is that it also acts as an appetite suppressant. It reduces your unhealthy cravings to support healthy body weight.
To use this whey protein isolate and concentrate blend, mix one scoop of the Huge Whey powder with 350 ml of water or milk.
- This protein powder comes in different flavors such as cookie and cream, vanilla milkshake, chocolate peanut butter, and strawberry milkshake.
- The formula of the Huge Whey protein supplement is soluble and mixable. The powder does not form lumps and every tub you purchase also gives you one free bottle shaker.
- According to the company, this protein supplement can support focus, alertness, and mindfulness.
- This best protein powder for women contains no added sugar but it has sucralose and artificial flavors.
6) Best Protein Powder for Energy Support: Fit Protein Whey Creamy Vanilla
Many women may complain of a lack of energy during their training sessions. Unfortunately, this can reduce athletic and workout performance.
So, if you are looking for the best protein powder for women that can provide energy support, The Fit Protein – Whey Creamy Vanilla is worth the try.
This formula is made from whey isolate and whey concentrate protein blends. Per serving of this protein powder gives you 29 grams of protein, 7 grams of branched-chain AAs, and 147 calories.
Also, per serving gives you 4.5 grams of carbohydrates and 1.2 grams of fat.
Compared to other protein supplements like the Ritual Essential Protein, The Fit Protein – Whey Creamy Vanilla provides more protein content.
Other ingredients of The Fit Protein – Whey Creamy Vanilla include the nine essential amino acids, coconut, maca, Himalayan sea salt, magnesium, and Rhodiola root. According to the company, all of these ingredients can:
- Support energy, vitality, and recovery
- Promote healthy muscle gain
- Preserve and develop lean muscle
To use this protein supplement, mix 4 scoops of the protein powder with 250 ml of water and milk.
According to the company, this protein supplement is best served when cold.
If you want, you can also add it to your yogurt, porridge, and other baked goods like chia seed protein pudding.
- Support post-workout muscle recovery and balances the electrolytes in the body. It prevents hydration and muscle fatigue.
- Enhance mental focus and libido. So, for those who are looking for the best protein powder for women to enhance sex drive, The Fit Protein – Whey Creamy Vanilla is also worth the try.
- The formula of this protein supplement is vegan, GMO-free, gluten-free, cruelty-free, and soy-free.
- According to some users, the sucralose content of this protein supplement is too sweet.
7) Best Budget-Friendly Protein Powder for Women: ALOHA Organic Protein Powder
If you are on a tight budget and you want to experience the health benefits of taking protein powder formulas, the best protein powder for women that can be recommended is the ALOHA Organic Protein Powder.
Per serving of this protein supplement gives you 18 grams of protein.
Moreover, the protein blend is made from pea protein, brown rice protein, and hemp protein. Other ingredients include the following:
- Natural coconut sugar
- Monk fruit extract
- Medium-chain triglycerides from coconut oil
- Calcium, iron, phosphorus, and potassium
- Dietary fibers
- Saturated fats
Take note that, although this protein supplement has no added sugar, its coconut sugar content is around 4 grams.
Some users report that this is too sweet for them.
It is also important to mention that this protein supplement contains saturated fats. According to a study from Pennsylvania, saturated fats are unhealthy fats.
They can increase LDL levels (bad cholesterol) and may increase your risk of developing heart diseases.
According to the company, this protein supplement works by promoting muscle protein synthesis to help your body recover from fatigue and stress after working out.
Therefore, it can support healthy muscle gain, increase metabolism, and reduce stubborn body fat.
This means that this protein supplement can help you lose weight!
Aside from helping you build muscle, other great things about this protein supplement are that it can modify blood mineral balance and can provide a smoother function of the intestines.
It also acts as an appetite suppressant to help you reduce your unhealthy food cravings.
- This protein supplement comes in different flavors such as chocolate and vanilla.
- When you subscribe using your email, you can get 15% off on your first order.
- The formula of this protein supplement is non-GMO. Also, many users report that the ingredients pea protein and brown rice are well-tolerated.
- The container or tub of this protein supplement is bioavailable. It keeps the powders fresh all the time. The container is made from a 100% sustained canister that is made from recycled plastic.
- Take note that the ALOHA Organic Protein Powder contains saturated fats and its protein is lower compared to other protein powders.
- You have to buy at least $75 to get free shipping and this is around 3 bottles.
8) Best Pre-Workout Protein for Women: Tone It Up Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder
Every woman is entitled to experience a long-lasting gym workout.
However, eating protein-rich foods is sometimes not enough for them to experience this.
Fortunately, there is this premium protein powder called Tone It Up Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder that can help you out.
This protein supplement was first introduced to the market in the year 2016. Since then, the company has received thousands of positive reviews from its customers.
According to the company, this protein supplement gives essential protein that can promote weight loss and help build muscle.
One great thing about this protein supplement is that it was specifically made for women.
Per serving of this protein supplement gives 15 grams of protein. Compared to other protein powders, this protein content is too low.
Per serving also gives 100 calories.
Furthermore, the potent content of this supplement is sourced from pea protein isolate and hemp protein.
Other ingredients of this protein supplement include the following:
- Dietary fibers
- Monk fruit extract
- Medium-chain triglycerides
- Organic cacao for the chocolate flavor
One great thing about this protein supplement is that it is made using 7 ingredients. Despite this, the formula is truly delicious and mouth-watering.
Many users love this protein supplement because it is easy to mix and blend with different shakes and recipes. Its texture is smooth and creamy as well.
To use this protein supplement, mix protein powder with water or your favorite beverage. You can also add it to your meals.
- The formula of this protein supplement is non-GMO, plant-based, gluten-free, and dairy-free. It is certified organic and has no added sugar as well.
- Based on some reviews, this protein supplement is not chalky.
- This protein supplement offers more per serving size per container. Others only give 20 or fewer serving sizes per tub while this one can give up to 28 serving sizes.
- This protein supplement is a delicious and effective supplement for weight loss. However, there is only one flavor.
9) Best Cholesterol-Free Protein Supplement: Huge 100% Vegan Protein
There is also a cholesterol-free protein supplement for women and that is the Huge Vegan Protein.
As you can see, there is another Huge supplement on this list.
However, the former is animal-based while this one is plant-based.
It is worth mentioning that this protein supplement comes in different flavors and each of the flavors provides different grams of protein per serving.
The cookies and cream, graham cracker, birthday cake, and cinnamon crunch give 20 grams while the marshmallow madness gives 21 grams per serving.
The ingredients of the Huge Vegan Protein include the following:
According to the company, the protein content of this supplement is sourced from pea protein, brown rice, fava beans, and mung beans.
To use this protein supplement, mix one scoop of the powder with 350 ml of water or milk.
- The formula of this protein supplement has a complete amino acid profile and is dairy-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO.
- Comes in different flavors such as birthday cake, cinnamon toast crunch, cookies and cream, marshmallow madness, and graham cracker.
- Take note that this protein supplement contains wheat and soy. If you are allergic to any of these substances, you should avoid this protein supplement.
- All of the flavors of this protein supplement also contain artificial sweeteners, preservatives, and sucralose.
10) Best Protein Supplement for Muscles: Optimum Gold Standard Whey Protein Powder
Many athletes and gym enthusiasts use protein supplements to enhance their muscles.
However, not all protein powders are found to be effective.
So, if you want assurance that you will get the most effective protein supplement for your muscles, you might want to consider the Optimum Gold Standard.
This protein supplement is manufactured by the company Optimum Nutrition and the product was first introduced to the market in the year 2008.
Per serving of this protein supplement gives 24 grams of proteins, 120 calories, and 5.5 grams of branched-chain AAs.
Furthermore, the protein content of this supplement is sourced from whey protein isolate, concentrate, and peptides.
- Aside from the unflavored version, this protein supplement comes in different flavors such as double rich chocolate, banana cream, chocolate chip mint, chocolate coconut, chocolate malt, coffee, delicious strawberry, french vanilla, and rocky road, strawberry banana, white chocolate, and chocolate hazelnut.
- This protein supplement is gluten-free and contains no sucralose.
- According to some users, this protein supplement does not work quickly.
How to Choose the Most Effective Protein Powder for Women
When buying protein supplements for women, you have to consider some factors.
These factors will not just help you decide if the product is suitable for your health but will also allow you to optimize your money.
1) Protein type
Here, you will take a look at if the protein supplement you wish to buy is plant-based or animal-based.
If you are vegan, you can go for the former as these proteins are made of chia seeds, peas, and greens.
However, if you want more amino acids and protein content, you should go for the latter.
Here, you will consider each of the ingredients listed.
- Are you allergic to any of these?
- Are the dosages worth the price?
- Are the ingredients all essential?
3) Money-back guarantee
You should also consider procurement features and one of these is the money-back guarantee.
A protein supplement with this feature assures you that the supplement is truly effective.
Indeed, protein supplements are effective products that can enhance muscle, brain, and even gut health.
Since there are many protein supplements on the market, you should know which of these is most suitable for you.
If you want vegan protein powders, the Crazy Nutrition Tri-Protein, Tone It Up Organic Plant-Based Protein Powder, Orgain Clean Whey, and Vega Protein & Greens Protein Powder are highly recommended.
If you are on a tight budget, the ALOHA Organic Protein Powder is worth considering.
On the other hand, if you want the best-tasting one, you can go for the Sprout Living Epic Protein.
If you want an easy-to-mix protein supplement, you can try the Huge Whey.
There is another Huge Supplement and that is the Huge Vegan Protein.
The difference between these two is that the protein type of the former is plant-based and the latter is animal-based.
Moreover, if you want a protein supplement for energy support, The Fit Protein – Whey Creamy Vanilla can be considered.
Lastly, if you want a protein supplement for muscles, you can go for the Optimum Gold Standard.