The global prevalence rate of lactose-intolerant individuals is around 68%.
For those with this condition, using protein supplements might be an issue.
According to a study in Canada, protein supplementation can enhance muscle recovery by 69%.
As this one is helpful for those who want to build muscle, many lactose-intolerant individuals seek safe formulas for their health.
Fortunately, there are lactose-free protein powders, and in this article, you will find the best one that can suit your health needs.
At a Glance
- Best Overall: Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan
- Best Protein Powder Sourced from Soy: Bulk Supplements Soy Protein Isolate Powder
The Top 10 Lactose-Free Protein Powders
1) Best Vegan Lactose-Free Protein Powder: Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan
There are many protein powder types on the market.
Some of these are pea protein, hemp protein, whey, casein protein, and brown rice protein powder.
If you are vegan and want to consider a plant-based protein powder, you might want to look at the Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan.
Per serving of this protein powder gives 34 grams of protein and 2 grams of fats.
Its protein content is sourced from organic rice protein and organic pea protein. Both of these two come with a complete amino acid profile.
Take note that the ratio of the rice protein to the pea protein is 2:1.
Other protein supplement ingredients include Himalayan rock salt, calcium, iron, and potassium.
Take note that you will get 130 calories per serving for the vanilla flavor. On the other hand, for the chocolate, you will get 150 calories per serving.
The latter also contains higher sodium, around 300 mg per serving, compared to the vanilla flavor.
According to the company, this protein supplement for lactose intolerant individuals has muscle-building effects and can enhance muscle growth.
Some users love it because it can also promote weight loss.
- This gluten-free formula for lactose-intolerant individuals comes in chocolate and vanilla flavors. It contains no added sugars, artificial sweeteners, coloring, and preservatives.
- The company offers a 100% 60-day money-back guarantee if the Transparent Labs vegan protein powder does not work for you.
- This protein supplement is gentle on the stomach. Many users like it as it does not cause bloating.
- Per tub can give you 30 servings. Compared to brown rice or plant-based protein powders, the Transparent Labs offer better serving sizes, making it worth the buy.
- You can only purchase the Transparent Labs vegan protein powder for lactose intolerant individuals from the official website.
2) Best Protein Powder Sourced from Soy: Bulk Supplements Soy Protein Isolate Powder
Most protein powders do not contain soy, as this one causes allergic reactions in many users.
However, for those still looking for protein powders with soy, the Bulk Supplement Soy Protein is worth the try.
This soy protein supplement is a complete protein powder sourced from soybeans.
Per serving gives 117 calories, 27 grams of protein, and a balanced amino acid profile. Other ingredients of this supplement include iron, calcium, and potassium.
Furthermore, the calcium content of this formula is around 258 mg per serving.
Compared to other brown rice protein, plant-based protein, and whey protein powders, this one offers more of this mineral.
Thus, it can promote better bone health effects.
According to the company, this supplement triggers muscle protein synthesis, thereby increasing muscle mass and muscle growth and supporting muscle recovery.
The formula is 90% pure protein.
Aside from enhancing muscle health, this protein powder can also burn fat and promote weight loss.
For those who want to lose weight, this supplement is one of the best alternatives to pea protein, beef protein, and whey protein powders.
Take note that this lactose-free protein powder is flavorless.
So if you cannot drink milk, you can mix the powder with your favorite smoothies, baking recipes, and meals.
If you want to try this supplement, you can purchase the small packet size (100 grams).
Add 30 grams of the powder to water or your favorite beverage to use this protein powder.
For best results, take the mixture 30 minutes after your training session.
- Compared to regular whey, brown rice, and plant-based protein powders, this one offers a higher protein content and complete protein source.
- This lactose-free protein powder is cholesterol-free and gluten-free. It contains no added sugars, and it is suitable for vegans.
- The formula of this Bulk Supplements lactose-free protein powder is third-party lab tested to ensure the product’s safety, purity, and efficacy.
- The company offers same-day shipping. You will get a 5% discount on your first order if you subscribe using your email.
- According to some users, this lactose-free protein powder is an effective supplement that can help you build muscle. It also promotes amazing taste when combined with any liquid. However, the only concern of the users is that the powders are hard to blend, even when using a blender.
3) Best Lactose-Free Protein with Collagen: Evlution Nutrition Collagen Peptides
Protein powders are usually sourced from animal and plant proteins. But, did you know that are some that come from collagen?
To experience the health benefits of collagen proteins, you might want to look at the Evlution Nutrition Collagen Peptides.
This protein powder, formally launched in the health and wellness market in 2018, is an amazing supplement that can enhance muscle growth and skin, hair, and nail health.
Not only these, but this supplement can also support bone and joint health.
One great thing about this supplement is that it is suitable for lactose-intolerant individuals. It is a dairy-free protein powder that is easy to mix and blend.
Per serving of this lactose-free protein powder gives 40 calories, 10 grams of protein, nine essential amino acids, and 11 grams of collagen peptides.
The collagen is sourced from bovine collagen hydrolysate.
By strengthening your joints and bones, you can experience long-lasting workout sessions.
Many users who took this supplement reported that they could do more squats and extensive exercises.
According to the company, this protein powder for lactose intolerant individuals is easy to digest.
To use this protein powder, mix one scoop of the powder with your favorite beverage. You can also make a protein shake by mixing it using a blender.
You can also add this lactose-free protein powder to any meal.
Many users love it because it tastes good on hot and cold beverages.
- This lactose-free protein supplement is keto and paleo-friendly. It is free from gluten, fillers, and GMOs. It is also colorless and flavorless.
- The Evlution Nutrition Collagen Peptides supplement is water-soluble and easy to mix. Compared to other whey, brown rice, and plant proteins, this one causes no clumping.
- This supplement comes with no unnecessary ingredients. It only contains one key ingredient called bovine collagen hydrolysate.
- According to some reviews, it takes a little longer for you to see the results of this collagen protein supplement.
4) Best Low-Carb Whey Protein Powder: Opportuniteas Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate
Most lactose-free protein powders contain carbohydrates.
Usually, the number of carbs ranges from 2 to 7 grams per serving.
If you want a whey protein with no carb contents, you might want to look at the Opportuniteas Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate.
Per serving of this whey protein isolate gives 28 grams of protein, 120 calories, and 10 mg of cholesterol.
Also, the protein content is sourced from cow’s milk.
Other ingredients of this lactose-free protein powder include essential amino acids and branched-chain amino acids.
Other ingredients of this whey protein isolate include sunflower lecithin.
According to the company, this whey protein isolate comes with a muscle-building effect comparable to those containing milk protein. It can also promote weight loss and boost metabolism.
Many users love this whey protein isolate because it is easy to digest.
To use this protein powder, mix 2 scoops of the powder with your favorite beverage.
You can also consider this supplement as one of your favorite protein shakes.
- Aside from being a lactose-free whey protein isolate, this supplement is also gluten-free. It is paleo and keto-friendly and contains no artificial flavors and sweeteners.
- This whey protein isolate is easy to mix and blend with any beverage. Many users love to use it as a protein shake because it gives a smooth and consistent texture and causes no foaming compared to other whey isolate protein powders.
- The Opportuniteas Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate can suppress the appetite.
- Aside from the unflavored version, this supplement comes with different flavors, such as vanilla, chocolate, and coffee. All of these flavors are lactose-free protein powders.
- This whey isolate can be used as a pre-workout and post-workout supplement.
- The unflavored version of the whey isolate comes with a coffee-like aftertaste.
- According to some users, the advertising label of this whey isolate is not consistent with the product itself. The serving size on the label is 30 but it can only give 15 servings.
5) Best-Flavored Non-Dairy Whey Isolate: Legion Whey+ Whey Protein Powder
Lactose intolerant individuals do not have enough enzyme lipase in their stomachs to break down milk sugar.
Along with this, they may also be sensitive to the tastes of other lactose-free powders.
So, if you are looking for the best-flavored non-dairy protein powder, you might want to try the Legion Whey+ Whey Protein Powder.
This whey protein is sourced from grass-fed whey protein isolate. Per serving gives you 21 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat, 4 grams of carbohydrates, and 5.6 grams of branched-chain amino acids.
Furthermore, the protein concentration of this supplement gives you a 100% whey protein isolate.
According to the company, this whey protein for those who cannot digest lactose works by promoting muscle protein synthesis.
It comes with muscle-building effects and can enhance muscle recovery.
You can click here to learn more about the other best-tasting whey protein supplements.
- This lactose-free protein powder contains no added sugars, GMO, fillers, dyes, and artificial sweeteners. The formula is also third-party lab tested to ensure the Legion Whey Protein Powder users that the supplement is safe and effective.
- This whey protein comes in different flavors such as fruity cereal, vanilla, chocolate, cookies & cream, mint chocolate, salted caramel, cocoa, and honey.
- The company offers a 100% money-back guarantee if the Legion Whey+ whey Protein Powder does not work for you. Customer service is also a plus.
- This keto-friendly whey protein is suitable for those on a keto diet, and at the same time, for lactose intolerance. Take note that a whey isolate protein contains fewer lactose contents than a whey protein or pea protein powder.
- According to some reviews, the stevia content of this Legion Whey+ Whey Protein Powder is too sweet and it comes with an aftertaste. Those who are sensitive to stevia may experience headaches.
- This supplement is kind of hard to blend. Mixing it should be done using a blender to achieve better consistency.
6) Best Potent Non-Lactose Protein: Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey
For those with lactose intolerance who are looking for the most potent whey protein, the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey is highly recommended.
This supplement is manufactured by the company Glanbia Performance Nutrition.
This company started in the health and wellness industry in the year 1997.
The Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey supplement was first introduced in 2013.
Per serving of this whey protein gives 30 grams of protein, 150 calories, 4 grams of carbohydrates, 8.8 grams of branched-chain amino acids, and 15.5 grams of essential amino acids.
Additionally, the protein content of this supplement comes from a whey hydrolysate protein isolate.
Other ingredients include a blend of digestive enzymes: aminogen, maltodextrin, amylase, protease, cellulase, lactase, and lipase.
Because of its potency, the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey is considered the market’s most advanced whey protein and complete protein source.
The hydrolyzed whey protein promotes faster delivery of the nutrients in the body while you achieve your muscle-building goals.
This hydrolyzed whey can also enhance muscle recovery and boost energy levels.
However, this lactose-free whey supplement does not support weight loss. It can increase your metabolism in terms of digestion but it cannot burn fat.
Regarding its mixability, according to some reviews, it is easy to mix with water and other beverages.
Those who love to make protein shakes may consider this as well.
- You can use the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey as a pre-workout or post-workout protein shake.
- Because of the enzyme blend, this hydrolyzed whey protein for lactose intolerance is easy to digest and can quickly be absorbed into the system. This one might work better for you if you are allergic to dairy products.
- Those with lactose intolerance can enjoy other flavors such as turbo chocolate, cookies, and cream override.
- The Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey contains less sugar content. Additionally, as of today, there are no reports about its side effects.
- Compared to other protein powders like brown rice protein, pea protein, hemp protein, beef protein, and egg white protein, this one offers higher amino acid content.
- Compared to other protein powders like beef protein, brown rice protein, and pea protein powder, this supplement contains higher calories, around 150 per serving.
- Take note that the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey for lactose intolerance contains sucralose.
7) Best Easy-to-Mix Dairy-Free Protein: Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder Isolate
The most common issues regarding protein powders are mixability and blendability.
Other protein powders tend to clump, and this can frustrate many users.
So, if you want a dairy-free protein powder, you might want to look at the Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder Isolate.
This supplement was first introduced to the market in the year 2004.
Since then, the company, Dymatize, has received thousands of positive reviews from its customers.
This dietary supplement is banned and substance tested, which is why many athletes are fans of this product.
Moreover, this protein powder for lactose intolerance is scientifically formulated for easy mixing.
Per serving of this supplement gives 110 calories, 10 mg of cholesterol, less than one gram of sugars, 25 grams of proteins, and essential and branched-chain AAs.
Moreover, its protein content is sourced from hydrolysate and whey protein isolate.
Other Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder Isolate ingredients include calcium and potassium.
To use this dairy-free protein powder, mix one scoop of the powder with 6 ounces of water or your favorite beverage.
You can mix the formula by just string. You can use a blender for a better consistency if you love protein shakes.
According to the company, this non-dairy protein powder can increase lean muscle mass and support muscle recovery.
Those with lactose intolerance can also use this supplement to help speed up the weight loss process.
- The formula of this non-dairy protein is gluten-free. Aside from being easy to mix, it is also gentle on the stomach. It causes no side effects, unlike others that cause gas and bloating.
- According to some users, this supplement is palatable to the taste. Many users love it because it comes with no aftertaste.
- This supplement has other flavors: gourmet chocolate, chocolate coconut, fudge brownie, gourmet vanilla, cookies and cream, cinnamon bun, birthday cake, chocolate peanut butter, peanut butter, strawberry, smooth banana, and orange dreamsicle.
- The Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder Isolate is a keto-friendly supplement.
- Based on some reviews, the Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder Isolate is an exceptional protein powder for those with lactose intolerance. The only concern in this supplement is that the tub is big, and users cannot pick the best flavors by buying small packs. Thus, before buying this supplement, you should know which flavor mostly fits your preference.
8) Best Egg Protein Powder: Now Sports Egg White Protein Powder
Apart from plant protein or vegan protein powders, there are also egg protein powders.
These supplements, sourced from lean protein, contain no lactose at all, making them most suitable for those with lactose intolerance.
So, if you are looking for the best egg white protein powder, look no more because the Now Sports Egg White Protein Powder is surely worth the try.
Per serving of this lactose-free egg white protein gives 100 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 3 grams of carbohydrates. It is also a complete protein source of amino acids.
You can also use this lactose-free egg white protein powder if you like to make protein shakes.
All you have to do is mix one scoop of the powder with your favorite beverage and mix it using a blender.
One thing to note before buying this supplement is that the label states no information about if this supplement is hormone-free or antibiotic-free.
Remember, compared to whey protein concentrate and isolate, egg proteins usually contain hormones and antibiotics.
Eventually, this may cause hormonal imbalance.
You can click on this link to learn more about the other best egg protein powders.
- This lactose-free egg white protein is paleo-friendly. Its formula is free of gluten, soy, milk, and fish.
- This supplement is banned substance tested to assure the athletes using this supplement that this one is safe. It contains no steroids that may cause addiction.
- The vanilla flavor of this lean protein comes with zero egg taste. The flavor is mild and palatable, and the formula contains no artificial sweeteners.
- According to some reviews, this egg protein is easy to mix. You can use a shaker cup but for better consistency, use a blender.
- Compared to other plant-based proteins such as pea protein and animal-based proteins such as beef protein, the Now Sports Egg White Protein Powder contains a high amount of sodium, around 320 mg per serving.
- This supplement contains Xylitol. According to the company, this substance is dangerous to pets.
- Some users using this supplement reported frequent gas as a side effect.
- Also, take note that this supplement contains no artificial flavors. Thus, when it is stored for too long, it may produce an odd smell. However, this does not affect the quality of the supplement.
9) Best Non-Dairy Protein for Immune Health: Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder
Most animal and plant protein powders contain no vitamin C.
During the pandemic, choosing a protein powder with this vitamin is essential.
Not only does it enhances your muscle health but your immunity as well.
If you want to try a protein powder with this vitamin, the Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder is highly recommended.
This supplement is manufactured by the company Papyrus, which was first introduced to the market in 2003.
It has been almost 2 decades, and the company continually receives positive reviews from its customers.
According to the company, this lactose-free protein powder is an excellent source of minerals and vitamins.
Each serving gives 25 grams of protein, 100 calories, 5.5 grams of essential and branched-chain AAs, and a wide range of vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, C, and zinc.
Furthermore, the protein content of this supplement is sourced from 100% whey protein isolate.
Again, compared to whey protein concentrate, the former offers lower lactose content than whey concentrate.
To use this supplement, mix one scoop of water with 8 ounces. You can use a shaker or a blender for better consistency.
When you mix it with whole milk, you may produce a sweeter solution.
If you know Joe Manganiello, one of the best American actors, he uses the Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder in his workout routine.
Usually, he takes this dairy-free powdered supplement every 10 pm.
Lastly, the Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder is keto-friendly. To learn more about the other best keto-friendly protein powders, you can read more by clicking this link.
- This Isopure Zero Carb Protein formula is free of lactose and gluten. It contains no carbohydrates, fat, or added sugars as well.
- This supplement is rich in biotin. Thus, this supplement can also support hair, nails, and skin health. It also provides 25% of calcium per serving, allowing you to support your bone, teeth, and joint health.
- This supplement offers more micronutrients than other protein powders, such as whey concentrate, pea protein, or brown rice protein powder.
- According to some reviews, the Isopure protein is easy to mix. Even if you do not shake it, the powders do not settle in the bottom of a bottle.
- This supplement is not for weight reduction.
- Note that this lactose-free supplement contains a mix of vitamins and minerals that are not soluble. Thus, you will somehow observe a cloudy solution.
10) Best Non-Lactose Beef Protein: Equip Prime Protein Powder Isolate
If taking whey protein, soy protein, or pea protein is not your type, you might want to go for beef protein instead.
The best dairy-free beef protein that is highly recommended is the Equip Prime Protein Powder Isolate.
This supplement was first introduced to the market in the year 2015.
According to the company Equip Foods – PureWod, this supplement can enhance lean muscle, support muscle recovery, and increase muscle strength.
Per serving of this supplement gives 100 calories, 21 grams of sodium, and 2 grams of carbohydrates.
Other ingredients include dietary fiber, vitamin B12, phosphorus, sodium, and potassium.
The protein content is sourced from grass-fed beef protein.
According to the company, this protein source comprises collagen, gelatin, and other micronutrients that can support your overall health.
One great thing about this supplement is that it is doctor-developed and backed up by science.
As stated by the company, this supplement is also an alternative to bone broth.
- The formula of the Equip Protein Powder Isolate is paleo-friendly. It is free from gluten, dairy, soy, hormones, and antibiotics. It also contains no preservatives or artificial flavors.
- The company offers a 30-day 100% money-back guarantee if the Equip Prime supplement does not work for you.
- This dairy-free supplement comes in different flavors, such as vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. According to some reviews, all of these flavors are palatable to the taste.
- The Equip Prime supplement is Easy to mix and blend. Many users report that it has a smooth and creamy texture.
- Safe for gut health as it causes no digestive issues.
- The Equip Prime contains stevia. This is a low-cal, natural sweetener that some protein users might not appreciate.
How to Choose the Most Effective Lactose-Free Protein Powder
The main reason people who are lactose intolerant avoid dairy products is that their bodies do not have enough enzymes to break down the lactose.
Thus, you should consider some factors before buying dairy products, including protein powders. Some of these include the following:
1) Protein type
When buying protein powders, you should know the protein type you need. Are you looking for animal-based or plant-based protein powders?
The next thing you should do is to check if the formula contains dairy or lactose. If none, you are good to go.
If it contains some, look at the dosage of the dairy or lactose.
Then, ask yourself if you can tolerate the amount.
3) Grams of protein
Afterward, you should look at the grams of protein per serving. Take note that this will depend on how much protein your body needs.
4) Money-back guarantee
It is also important to find a supplement with a money-back guarantee feature.
In case of any issues or the supplement does not work for you, you can still get 100% of your money.
There are times when the price is considered, especially for those tight on budget.
However, remember that not all expensive supplements are of high quality, and not all cheap ones provide less potency.
The use of lactose-free protein supplements is truly an effective way to enhance not just your muscle health but your immunity as well.
Since there are many protein powder options, such as brown rice, hemp, soy, etc., you should know which is most suitable for you.
You can consider the Transparent Labs ProteinSeries Organic Vegan if you want a vegan lactose-free protein.
On the other hand, if you want a protein sourced from soy, you can try the Bulk Supplements Soy Protein Isolate Powder.
There are also collagen proteins. One of the best brands includes the Evlution Nutrition Collagen Peptides.
Furthermore, if you want a low-carb supplement, you might want to look at the Opportuniteas Grass-Fed Whey Protein Isolate.
For flavored protein powders, the Legion Whey+ Whey Protein Powder would be a smart option.
If you want a potent, non-lactose protein source, the Optimum Nutrition Platinum Hydrowhey is the best choice.
Per serving of it gives 30 grams of protein. Along with this, there is also a protein powder for your immune health: the Isopure Zero Carb Protein Powder.
It contains vitamins and minerals, especially vitamins A, C, and zinc.
Since mixing proteins is a hassle, you might want to go for the easiest-to-mix protein powder called Dymatize ISO 100 Whey Protein Powder Isolate.
If you prefer egg proteins, the best one is the Now Sports Egg White Protein Powder.
Lastly, if you prefer beef proteins, the Equip Prime Protein Powder Isolate is worth the buy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What happens when I take protein powders with lactose?
In case you are lactose-intolerant and you accidentally ingested protein powders with lactose, you can experience gastrointestinal discomforts such as diarrhea, gas, bloating, nausea, and sometimes, vomiting. In case these side effects become severe, seek medical help as soon as possible to avoid further complications.
Can protein powders promote weight loss?
Most protein powders can promote weight loss. These supplements help you lose weight by enhancing your metabolism and helping your body burn fat. However, others are not used for weight reduction.
What are the protein types with lesser lactose content?
If you compare whey concentrate with whey isolate, the latter provides lesser lactose content. However, of all the protein types, the egg proteins come with zero lactose.